Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragonlord
    replied
    Sorry, this is not the case. I had a pal standing still or moving linearly while I either aimed at the torso or head. In only 10% ( maybe a bit more ) the LG registered a hit otherwise it always missed. Testing then with for example a shock rifle yielded high hit rates. This is one of the reasons this game pissed me off because if I want to play some hit-chance based game I go play PoA... which is also a lot more fun.

And it's not the first time I did such hit-chance tests on games so I have my experience with it.

EDIT: What you describe sounds like the BFG from Quake. This one had such a system ( John-Woe I call this ). I can't remember a weapon in UT which uses this kind of splash damage. It's either a ray-hit or a sphere-hit ( Redeemer for example ).

EDIT:EDIT: I think we also don't talk about the same. Looks to me as if you equate "hit-chance" to a probabilistic test. That's not the problem here, it's allways 100%. The problem is that the hit-ray is jittered around the shot direction resulting in misses ( it doesn't hit where you aim ).
    Last edited by Dragonlord; 08 March 2009, 01:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wyatt
    replied
    Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
    This is all good and nice but if you hit shit with the LG then all these added benefits help nothing. I did my testing back then with the LG and it has not even 10% hit chance <snip>
    Pardon? It's hit-scan. It draws a trace, a straight line in three-dimensional space from shot origin to mesh collision determined by current pawn facing. If the trace intersects the collision mesh of an opposing pawn, a hit is registered and 70 damage is inflicted, prorated by mutators, armour, and special attributes (such as head shot). Upon collision, I believe it's one to three auxiliary bolts of 64 units in length are spawned with random orientation originating from the collision point, each with the potential for 30 damage.

The details vary, but the sniper rifles, minigun secondary, stinger primary, enforcer primary, shock rifle, pulse/link secondary, redeemer explosion and a few vehicle weapons all operate on this principle.

If you hit, you hit: there is no "chance."

Leave a comment:

• Dragonlord
    replied
    Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
    The initial major problem with 2k3 and 2k4 is how the physics fundamentally changed movement from UT99. The real breaker, though, is how terribly overpowered hitscan is. Once you've experienced "shock tape," it gets more and more painfully obvious. Also, the link gun is crap. UT3's problems, from what I've experienced so far, are mostly that the rockets are too good-- huge blast radius and damange.

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I'm a bit confused why anyone would prefer the sniper over the LG: 40% More damage, arcs to hit other nearby enemies, no smoke trail left behind, negligibly slower refire, more ammunition.

I didn't have much time with it, but UT3 actually improves a lot of aspects of the gameplay. The movement is less gimmicky and you no longer have to boost-dash constantly to get somewhere fast (and it's less floaty, too). The Necris vehicles were pretty much all useless and some of the maps showed really poor design as far as path choice, though still better than Digital Extremes did.

Long story short, UT99 is still the best and looks like it will remain that way for years to come.

PS: Assault was totally in 2k4.
    This is all good and nice but if you hit shit with the LG then all these added benefits help nothing. I did my testing back then with the LG and it has not even 10% hit chance. It's utter rubbish especially for a sniper junky like me. Granted the sniper in UT3 is less accurate and has a higher miss rate than the one in UT99 but the LG is just the pinnacle of worthlessness. Also they should reduce rocket strength but bring back multi-lock from UT99 ( and I don't mean lock 3 and then blast them uncontrolled but loading up to 6 and hold them until it's time to launch the party ).

Didn't remember an assault mode in 2k4. At least in the version I tested I could not spot one... duh.

Leave a comment:

• Dragonlord
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Did you see the remade UT99 maps for UT3? OMG!!!! Drop dead gorgeous with the feel of a refined UT99. Which reminds me of another strength of the UT's, UnEditor ....
    Just with the problem that they put too much detail into the maps. I played dock like to death on UT99 and know it in and out but in UT3 I got totally lost due to too many details. An old mapper rules says take screenshots of different spawn points and if you can't identify immediately where you are the map fails.

Leave a comment:

• Wyatt
    replied
    The initial major problem with 2k3 and 2k4 is how the physics fundamentally changed movement from UT99. The real breaker, though, is how terribly overpowered hitscan is. Once you've experienced "shock tape," it gets more and more painfully obvious. Also, the link gun is crap. UT3's problems, from what I've experienced so far, are mostly that the rockets are too good-- huge blast radius and damange.

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I'm a bit confused why anyone would prefer the sniper over the LG: 40% More damage, arcs to hit other nearby enemies, no smoke trail left behind, negligibly slower refire, more ammunition.

I didn't have much time with it, but UT3 actually improves a lot of aspects of the gameplay. The movement is less gimmicky and you no longer have to boost-dash constantly to get somewhere fast (and it's less floaty, too). The Necris vehicles were pretty much all useless and some of the maps showed really poor design as far as path choice, though still better than Digital Extremes did.

Long story short, UT99 is still the best and looks like it will remain that way for years to come.

PS: Assault was totally in 2k4.

Leave a comment:

• MaestroMaus
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    The lightning gun is no substitute for the original sniper rifle and UT2004 had it because of a later mod (the original sniper rifle that is). It did not come with it.
    Sorry, but your really wrong: Weapons List UT2k4

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    UT3 dropped the crappy Onslaught mode, that gives a plus. But they did not bring back Assault, that gives a minus ( to both though, it's missing since UT2k3 ). UT3 has a sniper rifle which is one, plus point. In UT3 guns finally do hit not like in UT2k4 where it's pure luck if the shot goes where you aim. Hit detection also seems to be better in UT3. UT2.4 though has a nice dragon player model, gives plus points ( although I recently found a rehash of this one in black for UT3... so to say it UT style: "you lost the lead!" ). All in all the guns in UT3 feel more like the original UT99 ones. Those in UT2k4 feel like pee shooters just like the ones in UT2k3.

It's not a huge difference. Especially the bugs and random crashes ( some due to OpenAL... WTF?! ) in UT3 are annoying and the player models are rather generic ( Krall... WTF?!... I want a Nali WarCow ! :P ). But yeah, I would give it a slight lead over 2k4... but all are inferior to UT99 hands down
    Did you see the remade UT99 maps for UT3? OMG!!!! Drop dead gorgeous with the feel of a refined UT99. Which reminds me of another strength of the UT's, UnEditor ....

Leave a comment:

• Dragonlord
    replied
    Originally posted by Odin View Post
    You really like UT3 more than UT2004? Are you kidding?
    UT3 dropped the crappy Onslaught mode, that gives a plus. But they did not bring back Assault, that gives a minus ( to both though, it's missing since UT2k3 ). UT3 has a sniper rifle which is one, plus point. In UT3 guns finally do hit not like in UT2k4 where it's pure luck if the shot goes where you aim. Hit detection also seems to be better in UT3. UT2.4 though has a nice dragon player model, gives plus points ( although I recently found a rehash of this one in black for UT3... so to say it UT style: "you lost the lead!" ). All in all the guns in UT3 feel more like the original UT99 ones. Those in UT2k4 feel like pee shooters just like the ones in UT2k3.

It's not a huge difference. Especially the bugs and random crashes ( some due to OpenAL... WTF?! ) in UT3 are annoying and the player models are rather generic ( Krall... WTF?!... I want a Nali WarCow ! :P ). But yeah, I would give it a slight lead over 2k4... but all are inferior to UT99 hands down

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by Odin View Post
    Depends on personal taste. I kind of liked UT2k3 and UT2k4 as that's what I've played in the past. Never got around to playing UT99 and I'm most definitely not interested in UT3 without a client- period.

Some will like UT2k4 better. Some will like UT3 better.

I just think it is a bit crappy (well, more than a bit, really...) of them to do this the way they've done it up to this point.

Leave a comment:

• Odin
    replied
    UT = good ( real good )
    UT2k3 = shit
    UT2k4 = bit better but still shit
    UT3 = some steps forward, some back, so still shit although less shitty than before

Maybe this clears things up a bit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X