When Will UT3 For Linux Be Released?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Hey deanjo...would you PLEASE stop that crap?

You're making things worse. Just effin' ignore them at this point. UT3 isn't all that great a game (though the engine's got lots of potential...) and all you're doing is making the Linux community look like a batch of *ssholes. They're not going to change things and they already KNOW we're very, very pissed off at them.

Honestly, it's time to move on here folks- nothing to see, nothing to do.
    I wouldnt say the engine's a big deal either. Seem all those 10000+ games using ue3? They all look similar, washed out grainy stuff all over. Looks pretty crappy. I hope when id tech 5 is available for licensing it gives ue3 some needed competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
      You play UT3 for single player? Mentally retarded? This game is not just an "MP" failure it's a "complete" failure. The SP is crap as hell... even more crap than the MP.

What he stated is unfortunately correct. The game went down the drain and Epic noticed this quickly. They made some bad choices for UT3 and this ricochet back at them. Why hence forcing time into a client for a dead game if you can do so for other games where this might actually generate some cash? You have to think a moment from this perspective.
      Hey I enjoyed UT and UT03 and UT 04 as single player. I had no reason to believe that UT3 would be any different thus why I pre-ordered it when I received confirmation about the linux client being available for it. Then again I wouldn't know now would I since there is no linux client yet.
      Last edited by deanjo; 18 November 2008, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Hey I enjoyed UT and UT03 and UT 04 as single player. I had no reason to believe that UT3 would be any different thus why I pre-ordered it when I received confirmation about the linux client being available for it. Then again I wouldn't know now would I since there is no linux client yet.
        Dont be so down. Remember, Epic is working hard at a new "UT3 expansion". It'll be released "soon". And with a linux client.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
          If i was american, I would file a class action lawsuit against them, for misleading the public. I wouldnt care if the court throws away the case, as long as Epic is served and dragged into a court room. At least they would learn something valuable from there. The would learn something unreal(tm).
          Yes, they would learn that even discussing Linux versions of their game is a pain in the ass that is just too much hassle.

Does the box have a Linux logo on it? Does the box have Linux in the "System requirements"? If not, all they have done is failed to ship a Linux product, not their fault if people buy the windows version, which is not the same.

Comment

Originally posted by pfunkman View Post
            Most people in this thread seems to be entirely oblivious to the fact that UT3 is a massive failure and is completely lacking any form of online community. There is virtually nobody playing this game online.
            There is no online community because we don't play it.

Comment

No, you wouldnt...

The old UT games are awesome but UT3 is trash that is undeserving of the UT name. Do some googling and you will quickly see the ones that are the most serious in their hatred for UT3 are the long time fans of the series.

Cliffy B. will never get another dime of my money. He has show how little he cares about his customers over the last couple years.

Seriously people do your research before buying another epic game. Not only are they releasing junk and blaming their failure on everyone under the sun they are devising new ways to rip you off for more of your hard earned money.

Comment

UT99 is great, can't say much else. Had countless hours of fun with this one in both SP and MP whereas though MP is most fun. I remember a time where I ( god help me ) even played regularly bots on Godlike as a dexterity test. But the most important part on UT99: it's damn fun... simple... fast... furious ( especially with player models like War-Cow and others which are just pure fun if playing with others )... and with good guns ( where the fuck is the ripper in UT3?! Redeemer in UT3? What the hell did they do to this funner?! ). One can say this is because it has been the first one but it's because it did only a few things... and those damn well.

Then came UT2K3... God I hated this piece of shit. The beginning of a down-fall. Not only did weapons get messed up ( a sniper is a sniper because you can fucking SNIPE WITH IT! this shit could not hit anything at 10m distance without a spread of 5m U_U ) and overall crap like double-jumping got included as well as well as introducing a crap I label "customer attribute fuck-up" ( custom players can turn a player into god causing total unbalance... player models are for the LOOK not changing GAME MECHANICS! ). This shit continued to exist until the latest installment. In general it felt like one hell of a slapped together game... which it had been.

Up to UT2K4. I call this EA-Sports-Syndrom. Slap a new year after your game name, fiddle a bit with the graphics, crank up game mechanics, place ridiculous restrictions on the players and in general just be as bad as before. Not much to say about that crap.

And now we have UT3. This time they broke from the game<$YEAR$> but this didn't change much? Graphics beefed up and at last the game mechanics feel smoother and more UT99-esque ( right direction but not there by a long shot ). But that's where the fun stops. The sniper is at last again accurate as it should be but the redeemer is a fucking choke. Ripper is still missing and an 8-ball is intended to shoot fucking 8 rockets and not this 3-poop shit as 2k3 introduced ( there's nothing better than pumping full a corridor with heaps of 'nades :P ). The entire weapon handling of the rocket launcher a bit fat joke. UT99 had simple and easy to use controls for rockets, 'nades, group-rockets... here it's one hell of a luck what you finally get since you have to tap dance on the mouse buttons all the time. Also this entire character customization is like "for what?". If I want customization I want to make my own player model since this is fun. Who fucking cares if your krall has this or that arm protector. I want to play with some crazy stuff like we could in UT99 ( ever had a nali-cow only match with only nali-cow skins? just... pure... fun :P )

Okay.. no idea how this happened that I drifted of the main topic like this but it just happened . Better stopping now

Comment

I actually remember epic saying how fantastic ut3 was going to be, everybody would love it, isn't epic wonderful....and stopped reading anything they said from that point on. From my viewpoint, they basically thought they could do no wrong, and ut3 showed them that they were, well, wrong.
                  All that aside, they have handled the linux client debacle rather poorly from a public relations perspective.
                  I've seen people complete a level on the single player campaign before the level has finished loading (streaming texture data from disk most likely). That to me is a bad sign - I can only hope that if a linux client is released, it behaves a little better. Otherwise, it'd be no great loss to the gaming community if a client isn't released. There are better games out there!

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                    UT99 is great, can't say much else. Had countless hours of fun with this one in both SP and MP whereas though MP is most fun. I remember a time where I ( god help me ) even played regularly bots on Godlike as a dexterity test. But the most important part on UT99: it's damn fun... simple... fast... furious ( especially with player models like War-Cow and others which are just pure fun if playing with others )... and with good guns ( where the fuck is the ripper in UT3?! Redeemer in UT3? What the hell did they do to this funner?! ). One can say this is because it has been the first one but it's because it did only a few things... and those damn well.

Then came UT2K3... God I hated this piece of shit. The beginning of a down-fall. Not only did weapons get messed up ( a sniper is a sniper because you can fucking SNIPE WITH IT! this shit could not hit anything at 10m distance without a spread of 5m U_U ) and overall crap like double-jumping got included as well as well as introducing a crap I label "customer attribute fuck-up" ( custom players can turn a player into god causing total unbalance... player models are for the LOOK not changing GAME MECHANICS! ). This shit continued to exist until the latest installment. In general it felt like one hell of a slapped together game... which it had been.

Up to UT2K4. I call this EA-Sports-Syndrom. Slap a new year after your game name, fiddle a bit with the graphics, crank up game mechanics, place ridiculous restrictions on the players and in general just be as bad as before. Not much to say about that crap.

And now we have UT3. This time they broke from the game<$YEAR$> but this didn't change much? Graphics beefed up and at last the game mechanics feel smoother and more UT99-esque ( right direction but not there by a long shot ). But that's where the fun stops. The sniper is at last again accurate as it should be but the redeemer is a fucking choke. Ripper is still missing and an 8-ball is intended to shoot fucking 8 rockets and not this 3-poop shit as 2k3 introduced ( there's nothing better than pumping full a corridor with heaps of 'nades :P ). The entire weapon handling of the rocket launcher a bit fat joke. UT99 had simple and easy to use controls for rockets, 'nades, group-rockets... here it's one hell of a luck what you finally get since you have to tap dance on the mouse buttons all the time. Also this entire character customization is like "for what?". If I want customization I want to make my own player model since this is fun. Who fucking cares if your krall has this or that arm protector. I want to play with some crazy stuff like we could in UT99 ( ever had a nali-cow only match with only nali-cow skins? just... pure... fun :P )

Okay.. no idea how this happened that I drifted of the main topic like this but it just happened . Better stopping now
                    Wow, heh, I have to admit UT99 STILL kicks ass in gameplay. Wouldn't it just be grand if they simply redid UT99 with the new engine and graphics leaving the gameplay alone?

Comment

Wow, heh, I have to admit UT99 STILL kicks ass in gameplay. Wouldn't it just be grand if they simply redid UT99 with the new engine and graphics leaving the gameplay alone?
                      And for nostalgia's sake, slap in the original Unreal SP campaign while we're at it (sorry, couldn't resist, I loved U1's SP)

Comment

Working...
                      X