When Will UT3 For Linux Be Released?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Heh, I share the UT classic and UT3 feelings of refinement. At least they both had a damn sniper rifle. (Epic should be shot for not putting one in UT 2003/4)
    There is one in UT2k4 actually (two if you count the lightning gun).

Comment

• Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
      There is one in UT2k4 actually (two if you count the lightning gun).
      The lightning gun is no substitute for the original sniper rifle and UT2004 had it because of a later mod (the original sniper rifle that is). It did not come with it.

Comment

• for me ut has always been for the mods although the game itself can be alot of fun too , we're all still missing the ripper and yeh i've always preferred the sniper to the lg although they are really the same crappy hitscan weapon ( i was told that there would be no hitscan blah )

anyway ut3 if ever available on the preferred platform should come with an editor and thus gobsmackingly good mods such as

ut99 tactical ops
        ut99 strike force
        ut2k3/4 red orchestra

that have been available for past versions also lots of unreal engine games could be ported easily ( so easy that the 'its not worth our time' argument goes out of the window *cough*

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
          UT = good ( real good )
          UT2k3 = shit
          UT2k4 = bit better but still shit
          UT3 = some steps forward, some back, so still shit although less shitty than before

Maybe this clears things up a bit.
          You really like UT3 more than UT2004? Are you kidding?

Comment

• Originally posted by Odin View Post
            Depends on personal taste. I kind of liked UT2k3 and UT2k4 as that's what I've played in the past. Never got around to playing UT99 and I'm most definitely not interested in UT3 without a client- period.

Some will like UT2k4 better. Some will like UT3 better.

I just think it is a bit crappy (well, more than a bit, really...) of them to do this the way they've done it up to this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Odin View Post
              UT3 dropped the crappy Onslaught mode, that gives a plus. But they did not bring back Assault, that gives a minus ( to both though, it's missing since UT2k3 ). UT3 has a sniper rifle which is one, plus point. In UT3 guns finally do hit not like in UT2k4 where it's pure luck if the shot goes where you aim. Hit detection also seems to be better in UT3. UT2.4 though has a nice dragon player model, gives plus points ( although I recently found a rehash of this one in black for UT3... so to say it UT style: "you lost the lead!" ). All in all the guns in UT3 feel more like the original UT99 ones. Those in UT2k4 feel like pee shooters just like the ones in UT2k3.

It's not a huge difference. Especially the bugs and random crashes ( some due to OpenAL... WTF?! ) in UT3 are annoying and the player models are rather generic ( Krall... WTF?!... I want a Nali WarCow ! :P ). But yeah, I would give it a slight lead over 2k4... but all are inferior to UT99 hands down

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                UT3 dropped the crappy Onslaught mode, that gives a plus. But they did not bring back Assault, that gives a minus ( to both though, it's missing since UT2k3 ). UT3 has a sniper rifle which is one, plus point. In UT3 guns finally do hit not like in UT2k4 where it's pure luck if the shot goes where you aim. Hit detection also seems to be better in UT3. UT2.4 though has a nice dragon player model, gives plus points ( although I recently found a rehash of this one in black for UT3... so to say it UT style: "you lost the lead!" ). All in all the guns in UT3 feel more like the original UT99 ones. Those in UT2k4 feel like pee shooters just like the ones in UT2k3.

It's not a huge difference. Especially the bugs and random crashes ( some due to OpenAL... WTF?! ) in UT3 are annoying and the player models are rather generic ( Krall... WTF?!... I want a Nali WarCow ! :P ). But yeah, I would give it a slight lead over 2k4... but all are inferior to UT99 hands down
                Did you see the remade UT99 maps for UT3? OMG!!!! Drop dead gorgeous with the feel of a refined UT99. Which reminds me of another strength of the UT's, UnEditor ....

Comment

The lightning gun is no substitute for the original sniper rifle and UT2004 had it because of a later mod (the original sniper rifle that is). It did not come with it.
                  Sorry, but your really wrong: Weapons List UT2k4

Comment

• The initial major problem with 2k3 and 2k4 is how the physics fundamentally changed movement from UT99. The real breaker, though, is how terribly overpowered hitscan is. Once you've experienced "shock tape," it gets more and more painfully obvious. Also, the link gun is crap. UT3's problems, from what I've experienced so far, are mostly that the rockets are too good-- huge blast radius and damange.

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I'm a bit confused why anyone would prefer the sniper over the LG: 40% More damage, arcs to hit other nearby enemies, no smoke trail left behind, negligibly slower refire, more ammunition.

I didn't have much time with it, but UT3 actually improves a lot of aspects of the gameplay. The movement is less gimmicky and you no longer have to boost-dash constantly to get somewhere fast (and it's less floaty, too). The Necris vehicles were pretty much all useless and some of the maps showed really poor design as far as path choice, though still better than Digital Extremes did.

Long story short, UT99 is still the best and looks like it will remain that way for years to come.

PS: Assault was totally in 2k4.

Comment

Did you see the remade UT99 maps for UT3? OMG!!!! Drop dead gorgeous with the feel of a refined UT99. Which reminds me of another strength of the UT's, UnEditor ....
                      Just with the problem that they put too much detail into the maps. I played dock like to death on UT99 and know it in and out but in UT3 I got totally lost due to too many details. An old mapper rules says take screenshots of different spawn points and if you can't identify immediately where you are the map fails.

Comment

Working...
                      X