No announcement yet.

When Will UT3 For Linux Be Released?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes and no. Beefing up with graphics I would not object but not over-beef it like UT3. The maps have just too much geometry which distracts a lot. Also the player models can be improved graphically but not turned into walking metal cubes like those of UT3 ( at least what goes for human models ). But other than that it would be for sure interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
      Yes and no. Beefing up with graphics I would not object but not over-beef it like UT3. The maps have just too much geometry which distracts a lot. Also the player models can be improved graphically but not turned into walking metal cubes like those of UT3 ( at least what goes for human models ). But other than that it would be for sure interesting.
      Now that you mention it, the player models in UT3 remind me quite a LOT of the Skaarj in Unreal II (the Win ME of the Unreal Series). They turned from athletic effective assassins to robust, slow, and heavy warriors. And is it me or the UT3 models seem to have been too influenced by the art in Gears of War? Especially by the Locust models (IMO)

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
        Now that you mention it, the player models in UT3 remind me quite a LOT of the Skaarj in Unreal II (the Win ME of the Unreal Series). They turned from athletic effective assassins to robust, slow, and heavy warriors. And is it me or the UT3 models seem to have been too influenced by the art in Gears of War? Especially by the Locust models (IMO)
        I wouldnt even call it influenced more like they shamelessly recycled the models with only minor changes.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Why did they even introduce the kralls? Granted I anyways prefer playing with non-humans if possible but the Skaarj already had been a reptilian character if I'm not mistaken and looked really like a force to reckon with. The human characters in UT3 look like walking metal cubes inside those over sized armors. It's not credible how one of those is supposed to dodge or even double jump in those clumsy suits of theirs. The kralls though are not much better. At last they have no armor all over the place but somehow the run cycle looks awful like they are tied up on ropes to not tip over. You notice it if you play with the ragdoll in UEdit... they always fall backwards... waaaaaay too heavy on their arse side

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Wow, heh, I have to admit UT99 STILL kicks ass in gameplay. Wouldn't it just be grand if they simply redid UT99 with the new engine and graphics leaving the gameplay alone?
            UT99 (with an honorable mention to Tribes) set the bar so high for CTF gameplay that anything they do now can't hope to live up.

They really aught to just release the code to the first Unreal Engine. That way the community who still cares about the game can make the necessary changes and improvements that will carry it into its second decade.

Comment

Well... I would not say that they "set the bar high" for CTF. After all this game mode has been know at least back to Quake times ( 3Wave CTF anybody? ) maybe earlier I'm not sure. UT99 does not much else than 3Wave CTF in fact but it did it damn well. What UT99 brought to the table and that got send to hell in UT3 has been the "Assault" game mode. I had lots of fun with that one and LMS ( but "Last Man Standing" also ranges back to at least Quake days ). Crap like "Bombing Run" or "Warfare" ( it's "Domination" in disguise and this one had been more fun than the vehicle slug-fest warfare is <.=.< ) got added instead. Why did they change the winning formula anyways? They had a great mix of modes ( DM, LMS, Dom und Ass ).

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                Why did they even introduce the kralls? Granted I anyways prefer playing with non-humans if possible but the Skaarj already had been a reptilian character if I'm not mistaken and looked really like a force to reckon with. The human characters in UT3 look like walking metal cubes inside those over sized armors. It's not credible how one of those is supposed to dodge or even double jump in those clumsy suits of theirs. The kralls though are not much better. At last they have no armor all over the place but somehow the run cycle looks awful like they are tied up on ropes to not tip over. You notice it if you play with the ragdoll in UEdit... they always fall backwards... waaaaaay too heavy on their arse side
                You read my mind, I was kind of thinking that it could be a fair comparison if the models that shared the most common features and resemblance could be loaded into UED and seen side-by-side, I'm sure that the amount of models recycled is high, with only the skins changed (and probably some geometry too, but marginally different).

Comment

Most probably it wont help but lets try

Comment

That assumes we still want it. I know I no longer do.

Comment

• Still, i signed the petition.

Comment

Working...
                      X