Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, good job OS driver team.

Comment

when a game/benchmark offers a choice between OpenGL and DirectX, the DirectX renderer is usually faster.
      Benchmark maybe,there hasn't been much games offering API choice, appart for some that aren't really optimized. I remember half life one, and OpenGL was as fast as Dx if I'm not mistaken. Which is still the case with HL2/L4D2, but not CS:GO. Metro Last Light is also probably faster on OpenGL than dx11 as linux perfs are better than windows.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Most of the games use game engines. It is up to the Unity, Unreal, etc how well games do work. There are many Linux games that run well, like Tomb Raider 2013, Rocket League, Metro 2033 redux, Metro Last Light redux, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Cities Skylines, Payday 2, Insurgency, Wr Thunder, Team Fortress 2 ...
        I meant games using DX to GL-wrappers, like at least TF2 on your list. That always leads to some amount of performance degradation.

(also, TF2 is pretty horribly supported on Linux, generally lower FPS than on Windows and crashes often)

Comment

Impressive performance of the OS drivers.
          But most of the games tested here are Windows OpenGL, and sadly AMD closed source OpenGL drivers is much slower than their DirectX driver.
          So I believe there is still works to do on OS drivers to catch up with closed source DirectX drivers.

Comment

this is nvidia level

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

No problems with TF2 with Debian testing Xfce here. Played with Oibaf ppa and Amd A8-7600 about year ago. My kid had played TF2 with 750ti without any problems. If you are using pulseaudio, TF2 did crash because of it and many other games have problems with pulseaudio. So smart people do not use pulseaudio, networkmanager, gnome3, systemd and other redhat shit.
              There are some deeply rooted issues like this one in TF2 https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Sou...es/issues/2212

That's caused by TF2 being a 32-bit application and some drivers (like Intel in Mesa) storing high-quality textures in memory leading to running out of address space. A 64-bit client port is basically needed to fix this issue.

Here's what a Valve dev wrote:

As for the memory issues on intel drivers -

TF can load a great deal of textures on high texture quality settings. When drivers opt to store these textures, occasionally multiple times, in process memory, they can quickly dwarf the memory used by the engine itself and lead to exhaustion of the virtual address space. Setting texture quality to a lower value in video options will help avoid this.

The engine currently contains various workarounds for pathological driver cases, but ultimately the drivers in question simply do not operate on 1GB+ of textures in a 32bit process efficiently. The game will often hit the exhaustion limit having used less than half of virtual memory, with the rest being driver allocations.

Ultimately, memory management improvements in the drivers, or a full 64bit port of the game, will likely be required to play on high texture quality settings for these cards.

Comment

Is there a list of games that are still currently broken or not running properly when using open-source driver for AMD Radeon ?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X