GNU Multiplayer Strategy Game Sees First Update In Three Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    This is assuming Stallman has any significant influence left even now.

He is just used as a flag, but opensource supporters (or the nutters) won't suddenly change after he is dead.
    He has plenty of influence, considering Stallmanites are still a thing (I wasn't kidding when I said he had apostles). Many people, including Phoronix visitors, may not identify as one but they fit the description. He's pretty much the founder of these concepts, hence the term. And no, I'm not saying he was the first to have these viewpoints, he's just the ones who got widely recognized for it. To my knowledge, he still has a heavy influence on GNU, GCC, Hurd, and other projects. So when he dies, I predict it'll be much harder for people to continue using him as their spokesperson.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 26 June 2017, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      he still has a heavy influence on GNU, GCC, Hurd, and other projects.
      AFAIK the only noteworthy project is GCC, and that is already kinda emancipated from him.

So when he dies, I predict it'll be much harder for people to continue using him as their spokesperson.
      There is still a sizeable amount of people that use Jesus as their "spokeperson", and he is supposed to have died two full millenia ago.

Ideas that have reached a critical mass self-replicate (and mutate) not unlike biological entities.

New stallmanites will be formed by reading blogs written by other people citing His Open Sourcenness even after he died, and will pass this on to others. I'm already sure most current stallmanites are formed like this, as Stallman could not be so effective as the many many blogs and people preaching his choir. As he is a single individual.

Really, killing off ideas, or nutjobs, is not as easy as killing off the leader.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
        clang smoked GCC without too much difficulty.
        what source is that information from?
        In this article it doesn't look like clang is "smoking" GCC?

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
          is it gnu or the fsf that run this and the GCC, because they are awful.
          clang smoked GCC without too much difficulty.
          Does "smoked" mean, it's (very very slowly) approaching GCCs performance?
          Does "without too much difficulty" mean being funded for over a decade with a many-million-dollar investment by the richest technology company that ever existed (amongst numerous 3rd party funding)?

Comment

Yeah, just keep bagging out the one person that had an idea which literally changed the world. Good job. Linux/UNIX arguably wouldn't even exist anymore if it hadn't been for his ideas. We'd all be forced to run Windows, maybe Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
              Yeah, just keep bagging out the one person that had an idea which literally changed the world. Good job. Linux/UNIX arguably wouldn't even exist anymore if it hadn't been for his ideas. We'd all be forced to run Windows, maybe Mac.
              Stallman may have contributed a lot, but don't discount the lesser known Jolitzs. They ported BSD UNIX to x86 (386BSD) in the early 1990s and almost completely liberated it from the AT&T license. So that's a complete UNIX operating system, userland and all. No GNU components necessary. I don't know if they also worked on those 6 (was it 6?) remaining encumbered files though. Had they done this sooner, there may not have been a Linux and we might all be using some BSD (Free, Net, OpenBSD may not have existed in such alternate history).

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                Oh, so without him, there would also be no Haiku, AmigaOS 4, SkyOS (although now abandoned), etc., etc.? Yeah right. I know those OS's may not be for everyone (but the same can be said about Linux!) but I'm 100% sure they would've existed without Stallman so even if Linux had died, we'd still have other alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  He has plenty of influence, considering Stallmanites are still a thing (I wasn't kidding when I said he had apostles). Many people, including Phoronix visitors, may not identify as one but they fit the description. He's pretty much the founder of these concepts, hence the term. And no, I'm not saying he was the first to have these viewpoints, he's just the ones who got widely recognized for it. To my knowledge, he still has a heavy influence on GNU, GCC, Hurd, and other projects. So when he dies, I predict it'll be much harder for people to continue using him as their spokesperson.
                  Supporters will simply turn to their free 3D modelling tools and recreate Stallman as a life-like hologram. Du-uh.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    There is still a sizeable amount of people that use Jesus as their "spokeperson", and he is supposed to have died two full millenia ago.
                    Yeah, and according to the Bible, Jesus performed miracles and was apparently the son of the God that nearly the entire western and middle-eastern world believed in. So you're really telling me a historically significant divine being is comparable to an anti-capitalist hippy who wasn't widely known for anything he made?

Ideas that have reached a critical mass self-replicate (and mutate) not unlike biological entities.

New stallmanites will be formed by reading blogs written by other people citing His Open Sourcenness even after he died, and will pass this on to others. I'm already sure most current stallmanites are formed like this, as Stallman could not be so effective as the many many blogs and people preaching his choir. As he is a single individual.
                    Remember, he's a reference point, like Steve Jobs was to Apple or Bill Gates to MS. Though Bill didn't die, his company changed when he left (and I mean when he left for good, not when he kept stopping by on a regular basis even though he stepped down). Obviously there will still be people who cling to their "leaders" ideals, and others who will come up with the same ideas on their own. But these people don't/won't get very far. A blog post, a public forum, or a youtube video isn't going to accomplish much when you preach polarizing things, and, when you don't have anything to show for it. They don't have an audience or a medium to effectively spread their thoughts to others. Stallman may be small in a grand scale but his presence is influential to the open-source community.

Keep in mind I'm not insisting my prediction is right; it is just a prediction after all, not a prophecy. And I'm also not saying that when Stallman dies that suddenly everyone holding his beliefs will suddenly disappear with him; I'm sure it'd take a solid decade for there to be a noticeable effect.
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 27 June 2017, 08:56 AM.

Comment

It seems Gnome is a GNU package, see https://www.gnu.org/software/software.en.html .

Would gnome exist without stallman ?
                      If the answer is no, it seems mr Stallman has had a very big influence on desktop linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X