Valve Puts The Steam Link & Steam Controller Back Up For Summer Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
    You can also certainly stream apps like Kodi, but I didn't try.
    It can run Kodi natively
    kodi-steamlink - Steam Link port of Kodi

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
      Official FX rate is 1 USD = 1.12 EUR.
      It's actually the inverse of that: 1 EUR = 1,12 USD
      Last edited by devius; 22 June 2017, 11:13 AM.

Comment

in Australia EBgames (exclusive carrier of steam controller and link) have the Controller for $63 AUD and the Link for $27 AUD - they are usually $89.95 AUD each. The special is both in their store and online. https://ebgames.com.au/pc-222648-Steam-Controller-PC

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Well, you're not going to find MirrorCast support for anything else either, but rather MiraCast
          There is MiracleCast for Linux, though I don't know how well it works:
          Connect external monitors to your system via Wifi-Display specification also known as Miracast - albfan/miraclecast
          Yeah Miracast. Whatever. I tried miraclecast about a year ago. It required me to bring down my NetworkManager connection, meaning I couldn't access the corporate network ( very hard to set up outside of the gnome network config thing ). Anyway, I was bored at the time, and spent probably a couple of days messing around with our MiraCast displays. I *think* I *almost* got it working. Then I gave up. I've tried again more recently - even less success. This is on ever-so-slightly different hardware. I get the impression miraclecast is abandoned. An Intel dev ( in the Intel GPU mailing list ) said he was working on his own version - also around a year ago, but now says he wants to rewrite it and relicense it from GPL to BSD or something - I don't quite remember. Anyway I'm not holding my breath for this one either.

And, there are WiDi adapters you can use that work for any system.
          Good to know. I'm going to try to order one of these ( Steam Link ), but my workmate says it's not available in Australia?

That reminds me to try looking into remote displays again. It's been about a year since I checked last so I wonder if better tech has come out.
          Other than this - nothing. I was thinking of bringing up an Android VM and using it to connect to Miracast ... maybe even doing some weird VNC-to-android-to-Miracast thing. It shouldn't be this hard.

Comment

The steam link + controller combo is awesome, but for Linux users there is one pitfall: Steam's "in home streaming" only does hardware encoding on Nvidia GPUs. On my RX480 the difference in streaming quality between Windows (where hardware encoding is used) vs Linux (software encoding) is quite noticeable, leading me to mostly reboot to Windows when I want to use it. [Github issue.]

Comment

Steam really needs to up their marketing as I saw all the fanfare for the coming of the hardware, but zero when it was released months later. Yep I later saw snippets of the controller was out but they sure did miss an opportunity. That also goes for the near zero fanfare for the steam box too...is that released? Hopefully Atari Box can solve it.
              Last edited by e8hffff; 23 June 2017, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Arrr so the Steam Link is a cut down version of Steam Box? Didn't even know this was out. Boy BAD MARKETING on their part...

Comment

Originally posted by Chol View Post

It can run Kodi natively
                  Mmm... I was aware of this, but how well does it run nowadays? There seemed to be a lot of people complaining about issues: https://steamcommunity.com/app/35338...712370/?ctp=15

So I thought that could be a valid use case

That said... A kodi box for $15 (it's on sale on steam as well, now)... color me interested

Originally posted by toojays View Post
                  The steam link + controller combo is awesome, but for Linux users there is one pitfall: Steam's "in home streaming" only does hardware encoding on Nvidia GPUs. On my RX480 the difference in streaming quality between Windows (where hardware encoding is used) vs Linux (software encoding) is quite noticeable, leading me to mostly reboot to Windows when I want to use it. [Github issue.]
                  Well, it got my upvote. I though VA-API was being used.

Comment

The Steam Link is up around $40, not $15. $15 for used units. Steam also say it's equivalent to a Raspberry Pi, and not sure if they mean series 1, or 3, but they said it struggles to play video's over 1080p.

Comment

yeah it does struggle with 1080p. but i havent had much issues with upscaling from 900p to 4k. In fact doing that you can turn off a lot of graphics to improve performance. (the console arguments)

Comment

Working...
                      X