Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Direct Now Available For More Easily Getting Games On Steam

Phoronix: Steam Direct Now Available For More Easily Getting Games On Steam

Following the retirement of Valve's Steam Greenlight program, Steam Direct is now available as the streamlined, transparent, and accessible method for game developers to bring their games to Steam...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Am I the only one that this news makes want to make a game, now that it is so easy to get it out on the market?

Comment

Originally posted by audi.rs4 View Post
      Am I the only one that this news makes want to make a game, now that it is so easy to get it out on the market?
      The problem is that the floodgates Greenlight opened have turned the general Steam user community off from the front page of the store. It is all shovelware all the time now, nobody cares about new releases lists because of all the trash, and all that means is releasing your game on Steam just lets it rot unrecognized.

itch.io has been, and will continue to be, the much better place to start out as a game dev than trying to rise above the septic backwash that is Steam Greenlight / Direct.

Comment

Hopefully this will reduce the avalanche of crap caused by Greenlight, while still making a reliable process for serious indie developers. It's really sad to see all the crap that slips through Greenlight, by less than serious actors pushing monthly "games" where a lot gets through, while serious indie developers who spent two years on a single game might get stuck in greenlight for a long time, completely drowned by the garbage filling up the queue.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post

The problem is that the floodgates Greenlight opened have turned the general Steam user community off from the front page of the store. It is all shovelware all the time now, nobody cares about new releases lists because of all the trash, and all that means is releasing your game on Steam just lets it rot unrecognized.

itch.io has been, and will continue to be, the much better place to start out as a game dev than trying to rise above the septic backwash that is Steam Greenlight / Direct.
          Except it isn't all-shovelware all the time.

My recommendation? Be honest with yourself. Go to the store page, take a screenshot, and start counting. Compare the total number of titles to the number of shovelware titles.

Here, I'll start, from top to bottom:

[Probably crap] - Name of title
          [ ] - Defiance
          [ ] - Men of War 2: Assault Squad
          [ ] - Lawbreakers
          [ ] - Terra Tech
          [ ] - Assassin's Creed Origins
          [X] - Avorion
          [ ] - Fallout 4 VR
          [ ] - Starmade
          [ ] - Dishonored Death of the Outsider
          [X] - 35MM
          [ ] - Killing Floor Toymaster
          [X] - Stellar Tactics
          [X] - Deathwing
          [ ] - Dying Light
          [ ] - Tyranny
          [ ] - Hard West
          [X] - Valley
          [ ] - Postal 2
          [X] - Rise to Ruins
          [ ] - Deponia The Complete Journey
          [X] - The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians
          [ ] - Sir, You Are Being Hunted
          [ ] - 7 Days to Die
          [ ] - Black Desert Online
          [ ] - Dirt Rally
          [ ] - Darkest Dungeon
          [ ] - Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition
          [ ] - Don't Starve Together A New Reign
          [ ] - Subnautica
          [ ] - Northgard
          [ ] - Empyrion Galactic Survival
          [ ] - Tyranny (again)
          [ ] - ARK Survival Evolved
          [ ] - Space Engineers
          [ ] - Battleborn (free trial)
          [ ] - Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
          [X] - Passpartout The Starving Artist
          [X] - Hover Revolt of Gamers
          [X] - Emily is Away Too
          [X] - StarCrawlers
          [X] - Bendy and the Ink Machine
          [X] - ONRAID
          [ ] - Rust
          [ ] - Civ VI
          [ ] - 7 Days to Die (again)
          [X] - Valley (again)
          [ ] - Hard West (again)
          [ ] - Slime Rancher
          [X] - Shellshock Live
          [X] - Night in the Woods
          [X] - Passpartout: The Starving Artist (again)
          [X] - Galactic Feud
          [ ] - EUIV: Third Rome
          [X] - Wulver Blade
          [X] - Neko Navy
          [X] - Pilam Sky
          [X] - Black Squad
          [X] - Symphonic Rain
          [X] - Reflecting Fate
          [X] - Mob Stadium
          [ ] - Warface - Deluxe Starter Pack
          [ ] - Tyranny (again!?!?!?)
          [ ] - Hard West (again)
          [X] - Valley (again)
          [ ] - Deponia: The Complete Journey (again)
          [ ] - Postal 2 (again)
          [X] - The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians (again)
          [X] - Rise to Ruins (again)
          [ ] - Sir You Are Being Hunted (again)
          [X] - Pixeluvo
          [X] - Kopanito All-Stars Soccer

And that's where I hit "Keep scrolling for more recommendations".

So, that's what the front page of the store looks like for me.

Out of laziness, my count is probably wrong, but I count 56 unique titles there before the "keep scrolling" thing. Of those, 23 are what I would suspect are shovelware. However, I'm probably wrong about maybe half of those, meaning that probably 80% of the front page of the Steam Store is, for me at least, not shovelware.

Be honest. Run the experiment yourself and decide whether you've been convinced to believe a convenient lie.

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
            Hopefully this will reduce the avalanche of crap caused by Greenlight, while still making a reliable process for serious indie developers. It's really sad to see all the crap that slips through Greenlight, by less than serious actors pushing monthly "games" where a lot gets through, while serious indie developers who spent two years on a single game might get stuck in greenlight for a long time, completely drowned by the garbage filling up the queue.
            I don't think the entry fee and the minimum sales figure are quite high enough to really weed out the shovelware. If you're making less than $1000 each on your monthly titles you probably had more than enough incentive to quit anyway, otherwise all this does is slow down your return on investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post
              [X] - Avorion
              Just FYI, Avorion is a great game with great Linux support. I'd encourage everyone to give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                I don't think the entry fee and the minimum sales figure are quite high enough to really weed out the shovelware. If you're making less than $1000 each on your monthly titles you probably had more than enough incentive to quit anyway, otherwise all this does is slow down your return on investment.
                The fee could certainly be a little higher, but $100 would still limit some of the shovelware, especially those guys pushing dozens of entries.

Comment

Originally posted by ileonte View Post

Just FYI, Avorion is a great game with great Linux support. I'd encourage everyone to give it a go.
                  Exactly what I mean. My metric was that if I recognized it and knew it was shovelware, it got an X. If I didn't recognize it, it got an X. As a result, I vastly over-marked.

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post
                    [X] - Shellshock Live
                    Shellshock Live is a great game with Linux support. It is similar to the old DOS game Scorched Earth. Not vaporware which again helps show your statement of overestimation being accurate.

What this really goes to show is just how many good games there are out there that we just don't have time to play and/or have no idea about.

Comment

Working...
                    X