Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral Is Bringing XCOM 2: War of the Chosen To Linux

Phoronix: Feral Is Bringing XCOM 2: War of the Chosen To Linux

Feral Interactive has announced that they will be bringing XCOM2's War of the Chosen DLC expansion to Linux and macOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One of the first thoughts that came to my mind when I saw the trailer was if there was going to be a Linux port like the main game. Good to hear that there's going to be a Linux port this soon after launch because the main game was definitely my personal game of the year for 2016.

Let's hope this expansion doesn't re-introduce any of the performance issues the main game suffered from at launch and the couple of months after launch because it could slow down to a downright slide show at times. After all the performance related updates it's remarkably smooth to play.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
      Personally, I don't play games of this kind. The likes of Tomb Raider, Shadow of Mordor and Life Is Strange taste much better to me.
      I really liked Life Is Strange, I want more of it

I'm a fan of XCOM2, they've done a pretty good job with it, I'm a little biased I guess as I've been playing the series since it began in the 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
        Let's hope this expansion doesn't re-introduce any of the performance issues the main game suffered from at launch and the couple of months after launch because it could slow down to a downright slide show at times. After all the performance related updates it's remarkably smooth to play.
        for me, it's still barely playable with around 10-20 fps on a i5 3550 and a rx580....wouldn't call that remarkably smooth tbh ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post
          for me, it's still barely playable with around 10-20 fps on a i5 3550 and a rx580....wouldn't call that remarkably smooth tbh ^^
          When it launched it was pretty terrible on an i7 950 and a GTX 970. A few months after launch when I went in for a second play trough it played remarkably smoother with barely any performance issues worth mentioning. I suspect that your problem is most probably that it just doesn't play all that nice with AMDGPU.

The thing about AMD's open source Linux drivers is that apart from pretty uncomplicated stuff like benchmarks they tend to perform pretty poorly without optimizations made based on performance analysis of specific games and I don't think anyone of the few people who do this stuff took a particularly thorough look at XCom 2.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

When it launched it was pretty terrible on an i7 950 and a GTX 970. A few months after launch when I went in for a second play trough it played remarkably smoother with barely any performance issues worth mentioning. I suspect that your problem is most probably that it just doesn't play all that nice with AMDGPU.

The thing about AMD's open source Linux drivers is that apart from pretty uncomplicated stuff like benchmarks they tend to perform pretty poorly without optimizations made based on performance analysis of specific games and I don't think anyone of the few people who do this stuff took a particularly thorough look at XCom 2.
            Really agree with you on driver optimization; sometimes its quickly done, other times it is " Game, what game?"

Comment

I tried switching to playing XCOM2 on Windows for a fight or two, but dropped it when it turned out to crash just as often as on Linux

Great port!

Comment

I guess this would be a good time for the Vulkan treatment as well???

Comment

Working...
                X