Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Usage Ticks Up Slightly For May

Phoronix: Steam Linux Usage Ticks Up Slightly For May

With the start of a new month comes updated Steam usage figures for the month prior...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I agree that the numbers are probably accurate. Myself, I don't bother to game on linux anymore. It's always been a painful thing to do, and the fps are always lower. Linux is great for many things, mostly any serving, automated type of service, but not gaming or content creation. And I'm not even convinced that these tasks are compatible anymore. You want to store data, process it, etl, have a remote worker, linux is beyond genial. But games, play movies, edit them, yeah, always a headache. Windows and Apple are nice toys, and linux/GNU is a nice tool. Toys should be soft and flimsy, tools should be hard and sharp. I don't sleep on an anvil, I don't hammer on a mattress.

Comment

Ubuntu most used Linux distribution for Steam Linux gaming with 30ish %
      Gnome most used DE generally with 30ish %

Summa summarum = most isn't majority as 70% of others laugh on that

Comment

I just got the Steam survey today on my Ryzen Linux desktop (Ubuntu Gnome). As long as Codemasters and other studios keep bringing some of their titles to Linux, I don't care what the numbers are or what the percentage is compared to Mac or Windows. I just want to have some fun games to buy and play.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
          I agree that the numbers are probably accurate. Myself, I don't bother to game on linux anymore. It's always been a painful thing to do, and the fps are always lower. Linux is great for many things, mostly any serving, automated type of service, but not gaming or content creation. And I'm not even convinced that these tasks are compatible anymore. You want to store data, process it, etl, have a remote worker, linux is beyond genial. But games, play movies, edit them, yeah, always a headache. Windows and Apple are nice toys, and linux/GNU is a nice tool. Toys should be soft and flimsy, tools should be hard and sharp. I don't sleep on an anvil, I don't hammer on a mattress.
          I won't disagree on the numbers and their accuracy, but the rest of your post is laughable at best.

Comment

I kinda wish there was a NT 5.3 and NT 6.4 mode for Wine. That way, people Valve would know how many people are using Wine that opted to say "Yes, I'm a Linux user using wine and having it tell Windows programs I'm using a version of the NT Kernel that doesn't exist so I can make it more obvious I'm using Linux"

Comment

So, people still claim that these 6.6% of Windows 32bit users are actually not Windows users, but actually Linux users using WINE?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                I agree that the numbers are probably accurate. Myself, I don't bother to game on linux anymore. It's always been a painful thing to do, and the fps are always lower. Linux is great for many things, mostly any serving, automated type of service, but not gaming or content creation.
                There's nothing technically wrong with Linux for gaming, it's just that the selection of games is smaller and lower in quality for now: still, I would say there are hundreds of quality games available right now, and the situation keeps getting better. WINE also keeps getting better at running more and more games. I used to have issues with controllers, but since buying an Xbox-compatible controller everything just works. I think embracing Vulkan especially levels the playing field (pun!) for performance between Linux and Windows, since this API offers pretty much pretty much equal between OSes. OpenGL has been a second-class citizen for many game engines and devs.

Anyway, 3D performance isn't everything. So many terrific games do not demand that much from your GPU and can be very fun to play even without bleeding-edge performance. I mostly play on Linux these days, and reboot to "Game OS" only when Linux can't run it.

Comment

I really enjoy the increased number of ports that Steam is bringing over. I hardly start-up win7 if only to play Lego Worlds, or go sci-fi with DW; most games that I play daily are on the penguin side now. Plus great ports coming like DoW 3. That means when win7 kicks the bucket, its penguins for me full time.

Granted the first day a game is ported it is usually painful, like TW: warhammer but it now plays well on my gear.

Comment

search "vulkanised khronos" on youtube. There's some really interesting discussions by Feral and Croteam developers. It'll give you some insights as to where they're currently at and where they're going with Vulkan gaming. In a nutshell it's really early days for Vulkan code and there is a lot of room for improvement in their code.

As for me, I'm running RX470/X4-880K/RADV/Steam on one of my machines and streaming to a steam-link in the living room. It's amazing as hell how well it all works considering my OS is a custom Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X