Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamVR Home Now Works Under Linux

Phoronix: SteamVR Home Now Works Under Linux

Valve pushed out a new SteamVR update today and for Linux/SteamOS users it brings experimental SteamVR Home support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish it that stupid launcher would work at all. Upgrade you gfx stack / recompile your stuff with GCC 5.4.x and it stops working cause it is unable to load driver: r600_dri.so and so on. :/
    I wish they'd focus on making this thing more robust and cross-distribution tolerant. Funny thing is that games (e.g. from GoG/HIB) hardly ever complained about anything.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Is that the same as Playstation Home from the PS3 era?

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        I wish it that stupid launcher would work at all. Upgrade you gfx stack / recompile your stuff with GCC 5.4.x and it stops working cause it is unable to load driver: r600_dri.so and so on. :/
        I wish they'd focus on making this thing more robust and cross-distribution tolerant. Funny thing is that games (e.g. from GoG/HIB) hardly ever complained about anything.
        I run this when I have issues launching games:

find ~/.steam/root/ \( -name "libgcc_s.so*" -o -name "libstdc++.so*" -o -name "libxcb.so*" -o -name "libvulkan.so*" \) -print -delete

Comment

Off topic, but is there anything in development now for wireless hirez VR headset?

Comment

This here is exactly why Linux gets such poor commercial attention. It isn't Valve's fault something doesn't work on your distro and self-compiled dependencies. That isn't to say your distro of choice is worse than theirs (I'm sure what you use is better) but I don't think Valve has any obligation to make their stuff more cross-distribution tolerant.

I'm using Arch and I too have issues getting SteamVR to run, but I accept that this is my problem, not Valve's. As long as it's still considered experimental, I'm not sure I want to deal with it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              This here is exactly why Linux gets such poor commercial attention. It isn't Valve's fault something doesn't work on your distro and self-compiled dependencies. That isn't to say your distro of choice is worse than theirs (I'm sure what you use is better) but I don't think Valve has any obligation to make their stuff more cross-distribution tolerant.
              Let's say that there are less stupid ways to deal with the issue than trying to bundle the whole goddamn Ubuntu 12 with your application, and I'll leave it at that. This approach screws up more than it fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                find ~/.steam/root/ \( -name "libgcc_s.so*" -o -name "libstdc++.so*" -o -name "libxcb.so*" -o -name "libvulkan.so*" \) -print -delete
                Pretty sure they said SteamVR needs their modified Vulkan loader for now.
                Last edited by haagch; 27 May 2017, 08:38 AM. Reason: vulkan loader, not launcher

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Let's say that there are less stupid ways to deal with the issue than trying to bundle the whole goddamn Ubuntu 12 with your application, and I'll leave it at that. This approach screws up more than it fixes.
                  I'm not saying their approach is better. What I'm saying is Valve isn't obligated to support various distros of lesser popularities.

Comment

Working...
                  X