Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total War: SHOGUN 2 and Fall of the Samurai Debut For Linux

Phoronix: Total War: SHOGUN 2 and Fall of the Samurai Debut For Linux

Six years after the Windows release of Total War: SHOGUN 2, the Linux port has been released by Feral Interactive...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Multiplayer Notes: Multiplayer is compatible between Linux versions only"
    What The HELL!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
      "Multiplayer Notes: Multiplayer is compatible between Linux versions only"
      What The HELL!?!?!
      Feral has said OSX + Linux multiplayer will be coming in a patch later. OSX+Linux with Windows hasn't worked for any Total War port, so I wouldn't hold me breath (even if the reason isn't very convincing).

Comment

It was explained on Reddit that cross-platform multiplayer it is actually not difficult, however it would require changes to the Windows codebase. For whatever reason, this was not practical to achieve given the planned launch date.

There are some open source RTS games and engines that offer cross-platform multiplayer, and there the developers have even less control over getting consistent results across platforms.

Comment

yep. AFAIK, the game do not use any server, so must keep all game computer in sync. due the small differences in network, math functions and libs, the results is that the game gets out of sync sooner or later and breaks thinking that someone is trying to cheat
          As it is very hard to emulate exactly the windows code, it is usually lot easier to change the windows code to use more generic math calls or different network layer that allows better compatibility with other OS

that being said, wine usually work, as it emulates everything... so this could also be emulated... but it is probably hard, with less performance and harder to maintain... no one wants a ported game where the network part runs inside a wine

feral said one that it was going to research if they could intercept the math calls and report the same value as in windows, but never reported back... probably the performance hit was big as this game have lot of math behind

So the only thing to do is asking Creative Assembly to change existent game 3D math and network code to be compatible with the Mac/Linux version

Comment

Originally posted by higuita View Post
            that being said, wine usually work, as it emulates everything... so this could also be emulated...
            No it can't. The stupid multiplayer code requires things to be so exactly the same, that only the exact same binary will work. I'm sure Feral tried to get better multiplayer code in the Windows version, but considering that all the new games still suffer from the same problem, it's safe to say that it's not happening.

Comment

Appears to work fine with Mesa 13.06 too with AMD 7970, and surely much better than with Wine. OMG by the way how old that card is, but getting better and better on Linux, like almost wine which ages )

Huge thanks Feral! Now if you could port Rome II to Linux I would have everything )

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
                Appears to work fine with Mesa 13.06 too with AMD 7970, and surely much better than with Wine. OMG by the way how old that card is, but getting better and better on Linux, like almost wine which ages )

Huge thanks Feral! Now if you could port Rome II to Linux I would have everything )
                What? Rome 2? Seriously? Worst Total War game EVER.

Comment

I wonder if there is something badly configured on my system, but to get constantly over 30fps I need to select LOW graphics settings (R9 380 with 4GB on 2560x1440).
                  Shouldn't such an old game perform a little bit better?

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

It sure has its flaws, but I was happy spending countless hours in it

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

Yeah, at least certainly it was a big disappointment: two things which annoyer me a lot at first was tendency of fights to become mosh pits and seriously bad graphics. Mosh pit fights appeared to be countered by more careful timing and maneuvering of troops, but graphics, oh well, there is nothing much to do except get used to it. Napoleon had better graphics big time. Anyway, the setting of Rome II is epic, like Empire had more epic campaign than Napoleon.

Comment

Working...
                    X