Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamOS 2.115 Switches From AMDGPU-PRO To AMDGPU+RadeonSI

Phoronix: SteamOS 2.115 Switches From AMDGPU-PRO To AMDGPU+RadeonSI

Valve has pushed out a long-awaited update to SteamOS Brewmaster and in this latest beta update have switched away from the AMDGPU-PRO hybrid driver in favor of Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow - surely this is what good looks like

Comment

The Times, They Are A-changin'...

Comment

Edit: http://www.tf2sounds.com/1804

Comment

Until AMD's Mesa driver supports audio over HDMI, I wouldn't make this change for a home console OS...

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post
            Until AMD's Mesa driver supports audio over HDMI, I wouldn't make this change for a home console OS...
            I might be totally wrong, but I think the problem is RadeonSI but not Mesa. Either way, I agree with what you wrote - if the hybrid proprietary driver has audio over HDMI and the open driver with Mesa doesn't, then a switch doesn't make sense.

The hybrid proprietary driver violates the spirit of free software, but if you're running Steam then you're already proven yourself not to be a free software fanatic.

Comment

Feels kinda bad to say this but... I forgot SteamOS even existed :/

Comment

I, too, have made the switch this week (again, but for good this time!). Michael's recent benchmarks made me a convert.

Only thing that had kept me on AMDGPU-PRO was FreeSync support and HDMI Audio (which I no longer needed). Vulkan support was better on AMDGPU-PRO but not a dealbreaker for me and open-source is catching up. I can hold off on FreeSync until it's added to mainline.

Loving Mesa 17.2/Linux 4.12 rc performance so far. Quake II (Yamagi q2 client) looks and performs much better with the open-source drivers, which I was not expecting. Not to mention all the games that perform better shown by Michael's benchmarks. Happy camper here overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

I might be totally wrong, but I think the problem is RadeonSI but not Mesa. Either way, I agree with what you wrote - if the hybrid proprietary driver has audio over HDMI and the open driver with Mesa doesn't, then a switch doesn't make sense.
                  RadeonSI is part of mesa. the problem is in Linux kernel, you can just run DAL/DC enabled version and get HDMI audio.

Comment

Originally posted by orome View Post

RadeonSI is part of mesa. the problem is in Linux kernel, you can just run DAL/DC enabled version and get HDMI audio.
                    Could SteamOS have done this ? There is no mandate for them to ship to upstream kernel. They could patch upstream with DAL/DC themselves.

Comment

Working...
                    X