Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamOS 2.115 Switches From AMDGPU-PRO To AMDGPU+RadeonSI

Phoronix: SteamOS 2.115 Switches From AMDGPU-PRO To AMDGPU+RadeonSI

Valve has pushed out a long-awaited update to SteamOS Brewmaster and in this latest beta update have switched away from the AMDGPU-PRO hybrid driver in favor of Mesa...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...2.115-Released

Wow - surely this is what good looks like

Comment

The Times, They Are A-changin'...

Comment

http://www.tf2sounds.com/1775

Edit: http://www.tf2sounds.com/1804

Comment

Until AMD's Mesa driver supports audio over HDMI, I wouldn't make this change for a home console OS...

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post
            Until AMD's Mesa driver supports audio over HDMI, I wouldn't make this change for a home console OS...
            I might be totally wrong, but I think the problem is RadeonSI but not Mesa. Either way, I agree with what you wrote - if the hybrid proprietary driver has audio over HDMI and the open driver with Mesa doesn't, then a switch doesn't make sense.

The hybrid proprietary driver violates the spirit of free software, but if you're running Steam then you're already proven yourself not to be a free software fanatic.

Comment

Feels kinda bad to say this but... I forgot SteamOS even existed :/

Comment

I, too, have made the switch this week (again, but for good this time!). Michael's recent benchmarks made me a convert.

Only thing that had kept me on AMDGPU-PRO was FreeSync support and HDMI Audio (which I no longer needed). Vulkan support was better on AMDGPU-PRO but not a dealbreaker for me and open-source is catching up. I can hold off on FreeSync until it's added to mainline.

Loving Mesa 17.2/Linux 4.12 rc performance so far. Quake II (Yamagi q2 client) looks and performs much better with the open-source drivers, which I was not expecting. Not to mention all the games that perform better shown by Michael's benchmarks. Happy camper here overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

I might be totally wrong, but I think the problem is RadeonSI but not Mesa. Either way, I agree with what you wrote - if the hybrid proprietary driver has audio over HDMI and the open driver with Mesa doesn't, then a switch doesn't make sense.
                  RadeonSI is part of mesa. the problem is in Linux kernel, you can just run DAL/DC enabled version and get HDMI audio.

Comment

Originally posted by orome View Post

RadeonSI is part of mesa. the problem is in Linux kernel, you can just run DAL/DC enabled version and get HDMI audio.
                    Could SteamOS have done this ? There is no mandate for them to ship to upstream kernel. They could patch upstream with DAL/DC themselves.

Comment

Working...
                    X