Linux GPU Driver Issues Are Still Holding Up Games In 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mbohun View Post

stop gibbering moron, and take your haloperidol; there are in fact number of Linux games on steam that say they require OpenGL 4.x / 4.5; without it the game either a) won't run at all OR b) it might run with some issues; I think I have seen the OpenGL4.x / 4.5 requirement for example in Alien Isoloation, Metro.
    Alien Isolation and Metro both work just fine with Mesa drivers. They do use GL4 (as do many other games), but they do so by using core profiles, not compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Alien Isolation and Metro both work just fine with Mesa drivers. They do use GL4 (as do many other games), but they do so by using core profiles, not compatibility.
      again wrong; please do us all a favor and stop talking/commenting about things you clearly do NOT understand; For example Alien Isolation, Metro, etc. do run fine on my workstation with nvidia 1080 gfx, running openSUSE Leap 42.2, with the latest stable proprietary nvidia driver, however those games do not work/run on my intel i5-4200 laptop with intel HD gfx 4400 (running openSUSE Tumbleweed with Mesa 17.0.5 / OpenGL 4.5.

Comment

Metro runs fine on my system running on Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
          Metro runs fine on my system running on Mesa.
          My system running fine on linux if that linux is android

Joke aside Mesa in whole is the project, experience also depend on what DRI driver you use. Mesa itself is nothing, same like linux kernel is nothing, but specific drivers for specific hardware handle things .... it is software implementation and don't accelerate nothing, Mesa's DRI drivers handle that. Further and quite possible that different DRI drivers have different bugs.
          Last edited by dungeon; 22 May 2017, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbohun View Post

again wrong; please do us all a favor and stop talking/commenting about things you clearly do NOT understand; For example Alien Isolation, Metro, etc. do run fine on my workstation with nvidia 1080 gfx, running openSUSE Leap 42.2, with the latest stable proprietary nvidia driver, however those games do not work/run on my intel i5-4200 laptop with intel HD gfx 4400 (running openSUSE Tumbleweed with Mesa 17.0.5 / OpenGL 4.5.
            Please, have a closer look.
            I'm struggling with Suse 42.2 and MESA gaming, too. There are many problems relating to MESA being compiled to ssl/gcrypt whatever libs that are different to the game and/or to steam (search for libnettle and Suse MESA, or look for Suse openssl steam bug reports).
            The Nvidia blob seems to circumvent such library problems (I don't know how this works). In addition, the developers test with the Nvidia blob and specific Linux distributions (unfortunately, not Suse).

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post

I'm struggling with Suse 42.2 and MESA gaming, too. There are many problems relating to MESA being compiled to ssl/gcrypt whatever libs that are different to the game and/or to steam (search for libnettle and Suse MESA, or look for Suse openssl steam bug reports).
              The Nvidia blob seems to circumvent such library problems (I don't know how this works). In addition, the developers test with the Nvidia blob and specific Linux distributions (unfortunately, not Suse).
              The easiest way to do it is to go all NIH in the driver and use no system libraries. Then what you use can't conflict with Steam

Comment

Why would Mesa need to be compiled against openssl? I don't follow.

Comment

Why would Mesa need to be compiled against openssl? I don't follow.

Your system information Steam client version: 1.0.0.52 Distribution (e.g. Ubuntu): Opensuse 42.2 Alpha Opted into Steam client beta?: No Have you checked for system updates?: No Please describe you...

Steam client version: Distribution (e.g. Ubuntu): opensuse 42.1 Opted into Steam client beta?: [Yes/No] yes Have you checked for system updates?: [Yes/No] yes Install steam (do not use Remember pas...

That "were" the problems with steam. But, I think now there are the same problems with games.
                  (I don't know why which driver/software needs which crypto lib)
                  I still get gcrypt errors when trying to start games from the steam gui (suse 42.2, MESA, rx480). Some games can be started from their directory from the terminal...

Comment

Your system information Steam client version: 1.0.0.52 Distribution (e.g. Ubuntu): Opensuse 42.2 Alpha Opted into Steam client beta?: No Have you checked for system updates?: No Please describe you...

Steam client version: Distribution (e.g. Ubuntu): opensuse 42.1 Opted into Steam client beta?: [Yes/No] yes Have you checked for system updates?: [Yes/No] yes Install steam (do not use Remember pas...

That "were" the problems with steam. But, I think now there are the same problems with games.
                    (I don't know why which driver/software needs which crypto lib)
                    I still get gcrypt errors when trying to start games from the steam gui (suse 42.2, MESA, rx480). Some games can be started from their directory from the terminal...
                    I see, it uses libgcrypt for sha.

Comment

I see, it uses libgcrypt for sha.
                      Nowadays mesa uses an internal sha implementation based on some public domain code. Previously it could use several different providers of an implementation, you could choose which at compile time. Some distros chose openssl as the provider, which caused conflicts with some games. That's why the switch to a mesa-internal implementation.

Comment

Working...
                      X