Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GeForce Experience Picks Up OpenGL/Vulkan Support, Linux Up Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GameStream is game-breaking stuff

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
      It's been there for a long time on Windows. Dunno about Linux.
      Reports from under a month ago say that Windows doesn't have it either.

Comment

There are lots of reports that it does work in Doom Vulkan Windows. Maybe it just doesn't work with certain configurations, Vulkan/DX12 are a bit confusing regarding fullscreen options.

Comment

Makes you wonder if NVIDIA will try to install a telemetry service under Linux

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            Makes you wonder if NVIDIA will try to install a telemetry service under Linux
            Isn't that available already in their closed source binary blob driver?
            I think one of the major reasons they keep it closed is to put in whatever spyware and crap they want.

Comment

I would definitely like that, if only to stream my linux steam games to nvidia shield tv...

Comment

Originally posted by zekesonxx View Post
                OBS and ffmpeg both support encoding on an Nvidia GPU with nvenc, which is the same way GFE does it with such a minimal performance impact on Windows.

I regularly record game footage using OBS and nvenc on my GTX 970 with barely any performance drop.
                OBS doesnt work on wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                  Actually you ARE required if you want automatic driver updates from nvidia themselves. Otherwise you are stuck with old nvidia drivers with windows certification. One day GFE updated and just forced me to create an account to update my drivers. Actually i am just dont with nvidia now. Only AMD for my next builds.
                  Yeah, checking NVIDIA site manually once a month is hard. Better switch to AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    I think one of the major reasons they keep it closed is to put in whatever spyware and crap they want.
                    Unlikely. The main reason programs are kept closed source is because they contain parts with a license that does not allow opensourcing, and because there are parts that were "inspired" by looking at some other's work.

Spyware has nothing to do with NVIDIA's businness. They are evil, but not cartoon-character-evil-overlord-wannabes like MS.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Yeah, checking NVIDIA site manually once a month is hard. Better switch to AMD.
                      forcing your users to login into your software for automatic updates and game configuration is just one of the many annoyances. And i get updates more than once a month, almost every week. Nobody got time for that.

Comment

Working...
                      X