Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GeForce Experience Picks Up OpenGL/Vulkan Support, Linux Up Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do want it on Linux, Gamestream co-op is surprisingly fun

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

/usr/bin/import - a strong alternative to KSnapshot/Spectacle/etc:

Code:
      $ cat ~/bin/screenshot
      DATE=$(date --rfc-3339=seconds)
      FILE="desktop $DATE.png"
      import -window root "$FILE"
      chmod -w "$FILE"
      notify-send "$DATE.png"
      And map the global shortcut Ctrl+E to ~/bin/screenshot.

KSnapshot/Spectacle/etc are useful if the screenshot is targeting a specific window or desktop region.
      Or just use scrot

Comment

I use FFMPEG for game capture, but it takes a massive toll on the FPS, maybe around 50% by my reckoning when I tried it recently with a RX480. Though, admittedly the CPU is weak (Pentium 4560) which I'm certain is a major contributing factor to the performance loss. This performance loss seems a lot, and it is, but it's even worse with other, usually GUI-based, solutions.

I use Geforce Experience on Windows, but obviously wouldn't on Linux due to me favouring the red team on Linux because of open drivers. I would love some sort of equivalent in Mesa and would be all over that.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Of course you can skip GFE. Just don't hit next, next, next in the installer. Select custom install and it lets you select items to install (I don't install 3D Vision and GFE, for example).
          This. If you are a true man you always select "custom" when installing to check what stuff is going in.

And, for the record, I never even saw that login page EVAR, and I install NVIDIA drivers often on various PCs.
          (because I always used "custom install" menu)
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 10 May 2017, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Would you be interested in seeing GeForce Experience on Linux?
            Yes. .

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              This. If you are a true man you always select "custom" when installing to check what stuff is going in.

And, for the record, I never even saw that login page EVAR, and I install NVIDIA drivers often on various PCs.
              (because I always used "custom install" menu)
              Well, in my defense, I wasn't the one who downloaded and ran the installer

But good to know for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post

Yes, you aren't required to log in to anything to install the driver. Just don't select to install GFE.
                Actually you ARE required if you want automatic driver updates from nvidia themselves. Otherwise you are stuck with old nvidia drivers with windows certification. One day GFE updated and just forced me to create an account to update my drivers. Actually i am just dont with nvidia now. Only AMD for my next builds.

Comment

Originally posted by Ehvis View Post
                  Does that also mean that they finally added support for G-Sync to Vulkan?
                  It's been there for a long time on Windows. Dunno about Linux.

I am not interested in GeForce Experience for Linux. It's bloatware with forced registration, telemetry-stuff and lacking options.
                  Even on Windows I rather use OBS, has better recording quality anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                    It's been there for a long time on Windows. Dunno about Linux.

I am not interested in GeForce Experience for Linux. It's bloatware with forced registration, telemetry-stuff and lacking options.
                    Even on Windows I rather use OBS, has better recording quality anyway.
                    Besides which, the magic behind GFE's Shadowplay, NVENC, is available in OBS, so.... Who cares? Just run OBS and have more flexibility and options.

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                    I use FFMPEG for game capture, but it takes a massive toll on the FPS, maybe around 50% by my reckoning when I tried it recently with a RX480. Though, admittedly the CPU is weak (Pentium 4560) which I'm certain is a major contributing factor to the performance loss. This performance loss seems a lot, and it is, but it's even worse with other, usually GUI-based, solutions.

I use Geforce Experience on Windows, but obviously wouldn't on Linux due to me favouring the red team on Linux because of open drivers. I would love some sort of equivalent in Mesa and would be all over that.
                    Doesn't AMD's VCE work on ffmpeg? If it does, you should be able to use VCE as your encoder and that should greatly mitigate the FPS impact. Here's even a link to something on the forums: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...peg-obs-studio
                    That link looks like it's decode, not encode, though. I'm fairly sure encode is actually available on Linux somehow, but I'm at work, so..... Sorry, not gonna find a good guide for ya :<

Comment

OBS and ffmpeg both support encoding on an Nvidia GPU with nvenc, which is the same way GFE does it with such a minimal performance impact on Windows.

I regularly record game footage using OBS and nvenc on my GTX 970 with barely any performance drop.

Comment

Working...
                      X