April's Steam Survey Shows Their Linux Users At 0.76%, macOS Drops Below 3%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April's Steam Survey Shows Their Linux Users At 0.76%, macOS Drops Below 3%

Phoronix: April's Steam Survey Shows Their Linux Users At 0.76%, macOS Drops Below 3%

With the start of a new month brings us new figures from Valve with regard to their controversial Steam Survey...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One could argue that Linux would be "everything except Mac and Windows" (because of fragmented reporting of the system name/type), which would place it at 100 - 96.13 - 2.99 = 0.88%.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
      Windows could be defined as "everything except Mac and Linux" ...
      Not sure if you're just kidding or not, but as I stated: "... because of the fragmented way of reporting...", which is not the case on Windows. Each windows install reports a sane and consistent string, and there are only a limited number of Windows variants (not counting specific minor updates), and the same goes for MacOS.

Comment

I just want to point out that there is a bug that when using the system information function in steam it crashes the client stopping many of us from completing the survey. I know this bug happens to me.

System information gist: https://gist.github.com/matthew-cline/05ffc86d27205be2068cf121d177dd5a Steam client version (build number or date): Jan 19 2017, at 01:23:20 Distribution (e.g. Ubuntu): Fed...

So large grain of salt needed...

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
          One could argue that Linux would be "everything except Mac and Windows" (because of fragmented reporting of the system name/type), which would place it at 100 - 96.13 - 2.99 = 0.88%.
          Even with this inflation, it is still less than Windows XP 32bit

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Even with this inflation, it is still less than Windows XP 32bit
            That's obviously because Wine (up until very recent development releases) creates a Windows XP prefix by default.

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post

That's obviously because Wine (up until very recent development releases) creates a Windows XP prefix by default.
              Yeah

6.82% of 32bit Windowses are there and Linux and OS_X together are at 3.75%... That moment would probably be real news once at least we beat these dead horses

Obviosly these are our first rate concurention to beat , so let say - maybe in another 2 years, maybe not
              Last edited by dungeon; 02 May 2017, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Yeah

6.82% of 32bit Windowses are there and Linux and OS_X together are at 3.75%... That moment would probably be real news once at least we beat these dead horses

Obviosly these are our first rate concurention , so let say - maybe in another 2 years, maybe not
                In truth, I've played (and finished) far more games under Wine than native games. I keep a record over at https://systemsaviour.com/finished-games/

Gotta go - Resident Evil HD Remaster under Wine 2.7 Staging (which I just finished compiling) is calling me.

Comment

They are not even capable of providing 64 bit version of steam so f*ck them im not installing steam on my linux systems anymore... I tried dota 2 week ago (i3-4160 and GTX 750 Ti) and its running much worse than on windows even with Vulkan renderer enabled on both systems... after 2-3 games there is huge stuttering and the game is unplayable until i reboot my pc.

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post

In truth, I've played (and finished) far more games under Wine than native games. I keep a record over at https://systemsaviour.com/finished-games/

Gotta go - Resident Evil HD Remaster under Wine 2.7 Staging (which I just finished compiling) is calling me.
                    Azpegath tried to inflate results, but boltronics is even more inventive... as he count all Windows 32bit users as Linux under Wine

Of course Steam gaming does not represent all Linux gaming, some people use other services... some play emulated games on RPi, etc...
                    Last edited by dungeon; 02 May 2017, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X