PlayStation 3 Emulator Making Progress On Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    Gaming isn't numerical work. Of course if you are doing numerical work designed to run on the numerical processors you are going to use the numerical processors.
    So, physics and geometry pipeline stuff isn't numerical?

But if you are doing primarily CPU work that has to farm out a small subset of tasks to coprocessors you are going to take a major performance hit.
    Again, it's really no different than GPU compute that cb88 was saying works so well in the PS4. If games are properly architected, then there's not much difference between GPU compute, SMP multi-core, or Cell programming.

It does require a fundamental shift from writing single-threaded games, which was the dominant paradigm at the PS3's launch. The Cell did make things a bit harder by virtue of not being shared-memory. But that's how it got such raw horsepower - by not wasting power and die space on caches that only would've served to let naive programmers write inefficient code. Instead, you're forced to make sure the SPEs have the data they need, so they don't stall out on cache misses. GPUs accomplish this by a different means, but you still have to DMA your data between the CPU and GPU (in general, though not necessarily in the case of unified memory machines like the PS4).

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
      Unfortunately, my PS3 had a mainboard failure two months ago and is now unusable. And based on what I can see in their compatibility database, all my jRPGs are not working on this emulator either.

Plus all my games are downloaded from the PSN store, so it's not like i can load in a BD-rom for the emulator to read.
      Tons of JRPGs have come to steam recently, including almost the entire Final Fantasy series, Grandia, Skies of arkadia, and the very popular Neir:Automata which has been on Steam for windows since day 1.
      Last edited by Sidicas; 18 April 2017, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Swiftpaw View Post

Games which are forcefully hooked into Steam will not run unless Steam is running and authenticated, and authentication expires after one month so you can no longer play the games offline.

Steam is DRM in other ways as well, like blocking anyone else from playing other games of yours if you are playing a game.

So no, Steam is DRM and is bad, but fortunately most games are fairly easily crackable. Supporting DRM-free choices like GOG and itch.io instead is better.
        First off, the DRM functions on steam are optional to game developers to choose to use or not.

Secondly, many game developers are of the attitude that their games will get pirated on the PC platform and are reluctant to even bother releasing games for PC. The fact that steam has DRM available causes some game companies to consider the PC platform that would have not considered it before. So as far as I can see, Steam has only made PC gaming better by adding in those additional games for people that want to play them.

Third, some game developers due to legal obligations with 3rd parties cannot release their games without DRM even if they wanted to. If they cut off those agreements, they would have less of a game to release, or they would not be able to include the latest top rated music in their games.

To see games that were console exclusives like Bayonetta and most Final Fantasy games come over to PC is very exciting. Especially Neir: Automata which absolutely would have been a console exclusive if not for Steam's ability to provide a DRM solution.

Many of these games work in Wine too.
        Last edited by Sidicas; 18 April 2017, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Gaming isn't numerical work. Of course if you are doing numerical work designed to run on the numerical processors you are going to use the numerical processors. But if you are doing primarily CPU work that has to farm out a small subset of tasks to coprocessors you are going to take a major performance hit.
          No...

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post

First off, the DRM functions on steam are optional to game developers to choose to use or not.
            Unless the publisher insists...

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post

Tons of JRPGs have come to steam recently, including almost the entire Final Fantasy series, Grandia, Skies of arkadia, and the very popular Neir:Automata which has been on Steam for windows since day 1.
              I refuse to touch any title that has been localized into English on the grounds that all localization always ruins the original context and meaning.. Either it has Chinese subtitles or I go for the raw Japanese version. Of which Steam offers neither.

Comment

I refuse to touch any title that has been localized into English on the grounds that all localization always ruins the original context and meaning.. Either it has Chinese subtitles or I go for the raw Japanese version. Of which Steam offers neither.
                Here is a complete list of all JRPGs that have Japanese as a language option on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/search...dlang=japanese

I see 85 JRPGs that are available in Japanese, and 44 that list support for either traditional or simplified Chinese.

Comment

I refuse to touch any title that has been localized into English ...
                  You mean “dubbed”? I don’t like dubs either. Subtitles are much better.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

Both dubbed and subbed. You don't need to know Japanese to realize that the English subs are, half the time, way off from the original Japanese dialogue. And that the English subs loves changing character or location names. How the heck does a cry translate into three lines of perfect English sentences?

I've had much better luck with the more literal (and thus more accurate) Chinese subtitles.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

Dubbed and subbed. You don't even need to know Japanese to realize that the English subs are, half the way, way off from the original Japanese dialogue. Case in point; how the heck does a cry translate into three full lines of English sentences?

And the English localizations always love changing character or location names which end up ruining the original context in many ways. At least the Chinese subs are much more literal (and thus much more accurate and in line with the original Japanese dialogue).

Comment

Working...
                      X