No announcement yet.

PlayStation 3 Emulator Making Progress On Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In case anyone wonders but doesn't follow development, RPCS3 can already run Demon's Souls. Not at a playable quality/speed yet, but it's getting there.

Comment

I don't understand why people are afraid of steam closing. Most games include keys in addition to steam if they're big enough & there are many ways to "copy" the games from online in the case of restitution if steam failed to deliver den unlock.

Not to mention haxees would surely find a way to disable Steam DRM in the event that the servers went off.

Comment

I remember running linux on my PS3 and playing doom. Watching those 8 penguins during boot was pretty cool. It's hypervisor had some major restrictions. All of the playstation systems have been great consoles, its not uncommon for me to play my ps2. I have all the playstations. I ran my first ps3 phat absolutely into the ground I had taken that thing apart so many times to clean it out and repaste it. After eight long years of abuse it finally croaked and I bought a ps3 superslim.

Comment

Originally posted by czz0 View Post

Valve said that if they ever shutdown they will make sure you can still play all your games, and remove any Steam-related DRM on them.
          Just like LGP? Yeah, I feel very much comforted by such statements...

Comment

Originally posted by AHSauge View Post

Four months without playing.. meh, people would be going out more often :P

Comment

Originally posted by AHSauge View Post

Gaming on PC can be pretty awesome until you run into buying something like Far Cry Primal. I jumped through so many hoops yesterday just to get it activated. I was really kind of pissed first it has to authenticate through steam then you have to download ubisofts app to authenticate and activate the game just to play it and its a 3 stage process. So in total its a 4 stage process just to play one game. I mean come on wtf? This is why I tend to always come back to consoles when gaming. Ideally if you are a gamer you have multiple platforms to game on. Ubisoft can eat it I will never ever buy from them again.

Many "PC Gamers" out their are in deep denial. Especially when the pcmasterrace crap starts dropping turds.

Trust me I am not trying to start something, just sharing my own frustrations as a PC gamer.
              Last edited by creative; 16 April 2017, 07:50 PM.

Comment

I sorta thought a PS3 emulator would never happen. Even now, the only way I can imagine it running the Cell code fast enough would be to translate it to native code, rather than emulate.

While the difference in GPUs between PS3 and PS4 is like 10x, the CPU only improved by about 2x. The reason being a combination of the tour de force that was the PS3's CPU and the relative slowing of process-driven performance improvements.

The PS3's failing was all the effort software had to do to unleash the raw horsepower of the hardware. Sony took a good ass kicking for that, but the progress made by developers towards the end of PS3's reign was simply stunning.

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post

Too bad GOG uses a bank in Cypress, Greece, that most credit/debit card providers in the Oligarchy throw a fit over having transactions routed through, no matter how many times you call them and say, "YES, I'm SURE I'm the one making this transaction. Just like the other twenty times I've had to call." And then it's STILL a toss-up whether you'll get to actually complete the transaction.

Well, the Dreamcast's version was pretty much the GD-ROM format itself...which proved utterly useless, given that booting from MIL-CD was possible. . :P
                  Who are you with? Both paypal and my actual bank provided mastercard both go through to GOG without a hitch.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
                    Who are you with? Both paypal and my actual bank provided mastercard both go through to GOG without a hitch.
                    Yeah, I bought from them a couple years ago without any drama.

I also suspect some gamers might be partially to blame. Perhaps parents seeing these charges on their credit cards and the lying kids swearing ignorance resulted in many legitimate charges being contested. This could contribute them being blacklisted.

Comment

Originally posted by czz0 View Post

Valve said that if they ever shutdown they will make sure you can still play all your games, and remove any Steam-related DRM on them.
                      Hopefully they would have an easily enactable solution already in place before such a time. A business closing its doors often isn't in a position to deliver on previous promises. I would prefer a concrete plan over assurances. Also, I assume I would still be subject to third-party DRM for Steam games that include it. How much advance notice would I have to backup my games before the servers were shutdown? Etc.

That being said, given its financial health, I am not really concerned with Valve going out of business, I am more concerned about what happens in the event of Gabe Newell's death, and if there is any possibility of Valve being purchased by an entity more fixated on DRM. If CD Projekt were purchased tomorrow and GOG was shut down, as saddened as I would be, I already have all my games backed up that I've purchased on GOG. The same goes for my Humble Bundle games that aren't tethered to Steam.

Comment

Working...
                      X