Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlayStation 3 Emulator Making Progress On Linux Support

Phoronix: PlayStation 3 Emulator Making Progress On Linux Support

Nekotekina, the developer working on a open-source PlayStation 3 emulator, is making progress on Linux support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unfortunately, my PS3 had a mainboard failure two months ago and is now unusable. And based on what I can see in their compatibility database, all my jRPGs are not working on this emulator either.

Plus all my games are downloaded from the PSN store, so it's not like i can load in a BD-rom for the emulator to read.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
      Plus all my games are downloaded from the PSN store, so it's not like i can load in a BD-rom for the emulator to read.
      That is the shitty side of renting games from a electronic store. Same thing will happen when Steam closes (which it eventually will, maybe in 10 or 30 years).

Comment

Originally posted by adlerhn View Post

That is the shitty side of renting games from a electronic store. Same thing will happen when Steam closes (which it eventually will, maybe in 10 or 30 years).
        Huh? Steam lets you download the games in your library, and run them without an internet connection (unless it's an online game, of course). It's no less future-proof than optical media was.

Comment

Dammit apple, at least give us OpenGL 4.5 please.

Comment

Originally posted by tga.d View Post

Huh? Steam lets you download the games in your library, and run them without an internet connection (unless it's an online game, of course). It's no less future-proof than optical media was.
            Games which are forcefully hooked into Steam will not run unless Steam is running and authenticated, and authentication expires after one month so you can no longer play the games offline.

Steam is DRM in other ways as well, like blocking anyone else from playing other games of yours if you are playing a game.

So no, Steam is DRM and is bad, but fortunately most games are fairly easily crackable. Supporting DRM-free choices like GOG and itch.io instead is better.

Comment

Originally posted by Swiftpaw View Post

Games which are forcefully hooked into Steam will not run unless Steam is running and authenticated, and authentication expires after one month so you can no longer play the games offline.

Steam is DRM in other ways as well, like blocking anyone else from playing other games of yours if you are playing a game.

So no, Steam is DRM and is bad, but fortunately most games are fairly easily crackable. Supporting DRM-free choices like GOG and itch.io instead is better.
              Ah, I wasn't aware of the one month timeout, good to know. In any case, my point was that it's no worse than optical media. Physical PS3 games have DRM on them that require cracking as well, as has every console that used optical media AFAIK. And, let's not forget all the home-rolled DRM that PC games would use, which were in essence rootkits. So of course DRM-free is strictly better, but looking at game distribution in the 2000's with rose-tinted glasses is being a bit disingenuous. (FWIW, I do default to buying games from GOG)

Comment

Valve said that if they ever shutdown they will make sure you can still play all your games, and remove any Steam-related DRM on them.

Comment

Originally posted by czz0 View Post
                  Valve said that if they ever shutdown they will make sure you can still play all your games, and remove any Steam-related DRM on them.
                  This. It's not like they can't just push an update that disables the auth server check and has the client go in offline mode permanently.

Comment

Supporting DRM-free choices like GOG and itch.io instead is better.
                    Too bad GOG uses a bank in Cypress, Greece, that most credit/debit card providers in the Oligarchy throw a fit over having transactions routed through, no matter how many times you call them and say, "YES, I'm SURE I'm the one making this transaction. Just like the other twenty times I've had to call." And then it's STILL a toss-up whether you'll get to actually complete the transaction.

Originally posted by tga.d View Post

Physical PS3 games have DRM on them that require cracking as well, as has every console that used optical media AFAIK.
                    Well, the Dreamcast's version was pretty much the GD-ROM format itself...which proved utterly useless, given that booting from MIL-CD was possible. . :P

Comment

Working...
                    X