SDL Updates Game Controller Support With Nintendo Switch Pro & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDL Updates Game Controller Support With Nintendo Switch Pro & More

Phoronix: SDL Updates Game Controller Support With Nintendo Switch Pro & More

Sam Lantinga updated SDL tonight with support for several more game controllers. The most notable perhaps is the Nintendo Switch Pro controller now being handled by mainline SDL, the library that's widely-used by a majority of Linux games...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

xbox 360 wired? how is that one not in sdls database since years?

Comment

That definitely sounds a bit odd as I've been using one myself for years. Only recently switched to an XB1 pad (way better d-pad and my 360 pad had sticks so badly built that I had to sacrifice all the finer control with a massive dead zone to ensure that characters wouldn't start wandering around on their own).

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
        xbox 360 wired? how is that one not in sdls database since years?
        If you look at the commit there have already been X360 Controller, Xbox One Wired Controller, Xbox One Wired Controller, Xbox Wireless Controller, Xbox Wireless Controller und Xbox Wireless Controller and the new entry is Xbox 360 Wired Controller.
        And that is only in the
        Code:
        #if defined(__MACOSX__)
        -block.
        For Linux there is a generic "XInput Controller" entry which is possible what's used on your system.
        Last edited by baka0815; 05 April 2017, 07:48 AM.

Comment

It’s not very important, but I doubt that SDL is used by a majority of Linux games as the first version of Unity3D using SDL is 5.6.0 that was released only a few days ago, and about half of all Linux games are made with Unity3D. Stats from my 200+ titles games library show 36% games dynamically linked with libSDL. It’s possible some of them are statically linked with SDL2 though…

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
            It’s not very important, but I doubt that SDL is used by a majority of Linux games<snip>Stats from my 200+ titles games library show 36% games dynamically linked with libSDL. It’s possible some of them are statically linked with SDL2 though…
            You are actually saying a lot of games use it. 36% dynamic, and how much static on 200+ games you like. I call that a significant amount that might be a majority.
            Don't get me wrong, I love that you really bothered to look at it, and by your numbers it seems important to me.

Comment

Working...
            X