Steam's Survey Shows A Tiny Increase In Linux Gamers For March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

since the absolute number of gamers is XX-millions. Thus 0.02% are quite some users.
    Actually the absolute number of gamers on steam is XXX.

I think it's around 175-225 million if I recall correctly.

Comment

Very surprised to hear of all the people having trouble getting steam to work. On Debian Jessie, it has worked since I installed it over a year ago. The only issue I have had is with the need to manually edit udev rules to get the steam controller to work. Then again when steam pushed a firmware update to it to make it also a hidraw device...

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
        Very surprised to hear of all the people having trouble getting steam to work. On Debian Jessie, it has worked since I installed it over a year ago. The only issue I have had is with the need to manually edit udev rules to get the steam controller to work. Then again when steam pushed a firmware update to it to make it also a hidraw device...
        Because you are using Debian. SteamOS is afair Debian based. So yes, it's likely to work.
        Once I had a mesa update on my Gentoo (rolling release) - and that update would enable new OpenGL feature levels for my GPU. Right after, Steam refused to work. Regardless what I did. But some GOG games (or Humble DRM free) worked now (better) so I didn't want to revert. It was 6 - 12 months meanwhile and just recently I read about an update to the Steam client that would improve compatibility with other distributions. I tried and finally it worked again. (I had tried occasionally inbetween but no success)

It's was a repeated lesson for me not to trust any digital restriction management measures, though. (Well, I never trusted, but L4D came with Steam and the game was too tempting... besides I still value Valve's work in terms of Linux support.)
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by oskar-n View Post

I agree, Linux is great and stable. I haven't started my Windows installation in a few weeks
          My comment is a bit unclear, but I was referring to problems with Steam on Linux.
          Ohhh, my apologies!

Comment

ermm - I wrote hardware and software. Your software also updates.
            And even if it does pop up more often - whats the problem? Your pc only has to be counted once and then just sits there in the database until something triggers the survey again to check for spec changes, be it soft or hardware. It is not as if you would be counted more often only if you see the survey more often.
            That's how you would do it, that is not how Valve does it. The algorithm Valve uses to activate surveys has been black magic that nobody quite understands outside of Valve, but it is a known thing that results per month only account for the results collected in that month due to statements by valve on the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

That's how you would do it, that is not how Valve does it. The algorithm Valve uses to activate surveys has been black magic that nobody quite understands outside of Valve, but it is a known thing that results per month only account for the results collected in that month due to statements by valve on the matter.
              sources?
              I know, I also did not provide sources other than my own observations. So no complaining here, just curiosity to shed some light here.

Comment

sources?
                I know, I also did not provide sources other than my own observations. So no complaining here, just curiosity to shed some light here.
                Here's what's basically known about the survey:

unfortunately he doesn't have links, so I can't easily hunt it down again, if I come across it though I'll post it here.

Comment

Working...
                X