No announcement yet.

Steam's Survey Shows A Tiny Increase In Linux Gamers For March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Linux steam installation has been broken for a few weeks now so it's -1 installation here. Hopefully I'll have some spare time soon so I can fix it. I understand why Linux has been loosing market share over the years, it's a pain to run (and keep running if you want an up to date system) so you have to be a big Linux fan to bother with running Steam on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

the survey is fine.
      it pops up with:
      - a new steam install
      - if system specs were altered (significant hardware / software upgrades)

It does not have to ask you again, if you do not change anything on your system. And everyone is asked, so it is representative. I do not get why there is all this discussion around the survey. That some people decline to answer the survey is another problem. But Valve canĀ“t do anything to solve that be it win or tux.
      Er... No. Just no. It pops up randomly. It has nothing whatsoever to do with whether you installed Steam or your specs changed. I know when I changed my hardware "significantly" and I know when I do a new Steam install and I see when I get the survey. There is no coincidence between these actions and getting the survey or not (and I log in into Steam pretty much every day).

Comment

I'd like to see at least one comment on one of these monthly "Steam linux users" articles that isn't about the survey being bogus or not.

Comment

Originally posted by oskar-n View Post
          My Linux steam installation has been broken for a few weeks now so it's -1 installation here. Hopefully I'll have some spare time soon so I can fix it. I understand why Linux has been loosing market share over the years, it's a pain to run (and keep running if you want an up to date system) so you have to be a big Linux fan to bother with running Steam on Linux.
          Once you've set it up it's rock solid without viruses etc. It never had any market share to loose but yea there were times I didn't click on update because I knew it would break something.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
            I'd like to see at least one comment on one of these monthly "Steam linux users" articles that isn't about the survey being bogus or not.
            Then maybe it should stop being bogus, no? A survey with no statistical rigor is worse than useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

Er... No. Just no. It pops up randomly. It has nothing whatsoever to do with whether you installed Steam or your specs changed. I know when I changed my hardware "significantly" and I know when I do a new Steam install and I see when I get the survey. There is no coincidence between these actions and getting the survey or not (and I log in into Steam pretty much every day).
              ermm - I wrote hardware and software. Your software also updates.
              And even if it does pop up more often - whats the problem? Your pc only has to be counted once and then just sits there in the database until something triggers the survey again to check for spec changes, be it soft or hardware. It is not as if you would be counted more often only if you see the survey more often.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
                Same, but the steam client just crashes when collecting information about my hardware.
                Try to see if it also crashes on Help->System information. If so, I suggest you to send a backtrace or a bug report to Valve.

Comment

Originally posted by oskar-n View Post
                  Wut. To me Linux is an absolute breeze to maintain and keep updated compared to the forced updates and incredibly slow process Windows goes through applying them.

I've had the same Arch install for about 4-5 years until recently, and I only did a fresh install because I upgraded to an SSD. But that old install was working fine and kept up to date no problems, and only when I felt like updating it which was probably once or twice a week.

Comment

0.02% ... that was probably me buying hitman and day of infamy
                    Also the last of my ryzen parts come wed on my bday, maybe then I can make time to actually try the games I bought

Comment

My reaction to the news.

Comment

Working...
                      X