Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam's Survey Shows A Tiny Increase In Linux Gamers For March

Phoronix: Steam's Survey Shows A Tiny Increase In Linux Gamers For March

It looks like the recent Linux game releases of DiRT Rally, HITMAN, and Civilization VI along with the debut of SteamVR for Linux was enough for Linux gamers to fire up their Steam clients in March...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If they measure it via this survey popup it's entirely bogus and has been discussed here a thousand times. On the other hand I'm happy that this client finally runs (again) on non-*buntu / Deb / SteamOS based distributions. It would not start up and crash with a lot of library errors (deleting bundled ones only shifted error messages but didn't help) on my system.
    I guess fixing this helped the cause.

I'm running it often lately but that survery never shows up; as soon as I would do so on W32 - bap! - there is the survey, so I have it stay offline on W32, the few games there hardly receive updates anyway.

Not sure either if their HW survey data is really representative but it might give an occasional hint, esp. for the number of cores. That also probably explains why so many games weren't using cores above 4.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I got finally surveyed this time

Comment

How to enable this survey. I disable it and know I want to enable it again.

Comment

Originally posted by kalin View Post
          How to enable this survey. I disable it and know I want to enable it again.
          You can't enable or disable it. You disabled something else. Its appearance is totally random.

Comment

Chinese on decrease now and Linux go up again English also continuosly go down... survey this month seems didn't hit neither China nor US (thats for sure since OSX goes down), but mostly non english speaking Europe, Latin America and Japan...

Linux on steam only goes up when Europe or US were mostly surveyed there
            Last edited by dungeon; 02 April 2017, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Yeah, that's me guys. I recently buy two linux compatible titles just to test them.

Comment

It was me. I bought a new laptop and bothered to login to Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                  If they measure it via this survey popup it's entirely bogus and has been discussed here a thousand times. On the other hand I'm happy that this client finally runs (again) on non-*buntu / Deb / SteamOS based distributions. It would not start up and crash with a lot of library errors (deleting bundled ones only shifted error messages but didn't help) on my system.
                  I guess fixing this helped the cause.

I'm running it often lately but that survery never shows up; as soon as I would do so on W32 - bap! - there is the survey, so I have it stay offline on W32, the few games there hardly receive updates anyway.

Not sure either if their HW survey data is really representative but it might give an occasional hint, esp. for the number of cores. That also probably explains why so many games weren't using cores above 4.
                  the survey is fine.
                  it pops up with:
                  - a new steam install
                  - if system specs were altered (significant hardware / software upgrades)

It does not have to ask you again, if you do not change anything on your system. And everyone is asked, so it is representative. I do not get why there is all this discussion around the survey. That some people decline to answer the survey is another problem. But Valve canĀ“t do anything to solve that be it win or tux.

Comment

Originally posted by Up123 View Post
                    I got finally surveyed this time
                    Same, but the steam client just crashes when collecting information about my hardware.

Comment

Working...
                    X