Unity 5.6 Released With Vulkan Support, Updated Particle System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    You're free to your opinion. I'm just repeating what an actual linux developer said.
    This fictional entity is entitled to his own opinion too, however that's still bullshit.
    Steam isn't official outside of SteamOS and Ubuntu so the game devs aren't supposed to go and fix shit for Arch/Gentoo users, if some specific developer feels like he must do so it's his own problem.

Heck there is no obligation in general too. Many reports from Windows get ignored simply because they don't affect a large enough userbase (issues only on some specific configuration/platform/driver) or to niche for the game (like "only happening if you do X then Y then Z in rapid sequence") so it would not make sense to invest time in fixing them.

Besides, for most Unity games I play the only issues on Linux are very basic stuff like "64-bit version of the game crashes on start" or similar which affects everyone, I've yet to see such advanced users post bug reports for stuff they can realistically fix themselves from Linux side.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

You can't expect that every app is FOSS... it's impossible...
      There are resources needed for the development. In some cases it's peoples' jobs...
      Android has loads of FOSS apps also.
      No one is forced to pay or see ads. You have a choice...

The way i think it should go is like this:
      - There are apps that need a huge investment to get going and to develop.
      - For instance: M$ Office: in the beginning i'm sure it was a huge effort, so they HAD to monetize it.
      - Today, not so much. There's hardly any effort into new features and the software more than payed for itself.
      - It would make perfect sense for companies to have to open source an app after something like 10 years.
      -Plenty of time to get payed and we would be sure that we would pay eternally for the same thing, every year...

Bottom line: there's both sides to the same story.
      I use Linux and pretty much every app is open source. It is like this for me on Linux. The question is, why cant it be like this on Android too?

GNU/Linux does have a fantastic software ecosystem, Android have a shitty one.
      On GNU/Linux you cant find any applications with ads, on Android you cant find any apps without ads.

Android doesn't have lots of FOSS apps, sure there is F-Droid, but its something like 0,001% of Android apps that are FOSS.
      On GNU/Linux its like maybe 97%, its 100% of the Debian and Fedora repository.

Even when an application doesn't get new features, there are still development needed to maintain the software, update old libraries and dependencies, migrate off away from old deprecated APIs, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I use Linux and pretty much every app is open source. It is like this for me on Linux. The question is, why cant it be like this on Android too?

GNU/Linux does have a fantastic software ecosystem, Android have a shitty one.
        On GNU/Linux you cant find any applications with ads, on Android you cant find any apps without ads.

Android doesn't have lots of FOSS apps, sure there is F-Droid, but its something like 0,001% of Android apps that are FOSS.
        On GNU/Linux its like maybe 97%, its 100% of the Debian and Fedora repository.

Even when an application doesn't get new features, there are still development needed to maintain the software, update old libraries and dependencies, migrate off away from old deprecated APIs, etc.
        Then i think maybe your needs are too light.
        In my case, i need Cad tools, M$ Project equivalent, for instance... Not even paying can i find what i need...
        So as you can see, while it works well for you, and i'm glad it does, it's not the same for everyone...

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I think the real problem is more that there are a higher percentage of high-maintenance users on linux. The guys that custom compile a kernel under Gentoo that turns off certain standard features, and then you have to debug exactly why your app isn't working on their machine. That gets expensive to support, fast, compared to the more homogenized markets.
          Right. Because there's a law that says devs have to support every custom kernel? Come on, dude. Support can just stick to default kernels, esp. those of the most-used Linux distros. If they have any spare time left besides support default kernels, they can always opt to help out a few people with custom kernels. But they don't have to if they don't want to or can't do.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            This fictional entity is entitled to his own opinion too, however that's still bullshit.
            That fictional entity was Alen Ladavac of Croteam, speaking on a Vulkan panel about their experiences with The Talos Principle.

You can call him a bullshitting idiot all you want. I'm still going to take his word as worth more than yours.

Originally posted by Vistaus
            Right. Because there's a law that says devs have to support every custom kernel? Come on, dude.
            It was one example, dude. Take another - someone changed some X server settings a couple years ago because they found it worked better for them at the time, and now it's breaking apps. Or they set an environment variable for XYZ that's screwing stuff up, added some random path to an environment variable, etc. The point wasn't that custom kernels are the problem - it's that linux power users who want to game tend to be tinkerers who do all sorts of random shit to their machines over time.
            Last edited by smitty3268; 07 April 2017, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X