Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 5.6 Released With Vulkan Support, Updated Particle System

Phoronix: Unity 5.6 Released With Vulkan Support, Updated Particle System

Unity 5.6 is now available as the last feature release for this cross-platform game engine in the Unity 5 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad it's a proprietary piece of sh**.

Have a great weekend!

Comment

Stallman? Is that you?

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post

Have a great weekend!
        I don't understand all that hate...
        The company is free to do whatever they want.
        The same goes for game devs... All proprietary, but i'm happy with those that invest in Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

I don't understand all that hate...
          The company is free to do whatever they want.
          The same goes for game devs... All proprietary, but i'm happy with those that invest in Vulkan.
          Proliferation of proprietary software is a threat to the software ecosystem.
          Linux is great, look at the Debian or Fedora software repository, it is amazing, full of free, open source software, none with ads or anything.

Now take a look at the Android software ecosystem, everything is proprietary and have in-app purchases as well as advertisements. It is absolutely terrible.

It is great that devs invest in Vulkan, but I rather not see Linux support if its going to be proprietary.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post

Have a great weekend!
            Unity simply can't be open source, even if they wanted. It is from their business model to the platforms you can build stuff on. I better get my hands on the tools to make stuff even if they are proprietary than wait 10 years when a regular consumer would not care anymore, just like the situation with video editing (though, it is much better than was even back in 2012 when I switched to linux). Sure, unreal, but you can only see the source, it is still proprietary.

Oh and linux support is there, and it is proprietary.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Proliferation of proprietary software is a threat to the software ecosystem.
              Linux is great, look at the Debian or Fedora software repository, it is amazing, full of free, open source software, none with ads or anything.

Now take a look at the Android software ecosystem, everything is proprietary and have in-app purchases as well as advertisements. It is absolutely terrible.

It is great that devs invest in Vulkan, but I rather not see Linux support if its going to be proprietary.
              This mindset is what holds Linux back. There is nothing wrong with proprietary software per se.

I personally see no problem with closed-source pay-to-own games. Or any other closed-source software, for that matter. I would even pay for Microsoft Office if it would make sense - if the extra cost compared to e.g. LibreOffice is worth it to me.

Speaking of which, my gripe with MS Office is mainly the lock-in effect caused by the proprietary formats that they use. If all office suites supported the open document format and used that by default I would have less of a reservation paying for e.g. MS Office - again, only if I think it's worth the extra $$.

Now make no mistake, I love open source and free software. However developers are fully entitled to get paid for their work, and sometimes that means closed-source.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                  The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
                  Well, GNU/Linux is basically a command-line OS since X is not a part of GNU. And that's not what people talk about either when most people say GNU/Linux, so really it's not that much more accurate than just saying Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by michal

this mindset discourages me to work on any software for linux. unreal engine offers a great linux support, but I don't plan to work on build for a platform with 1% market share and with band of hostile users.
                    It's 2% marketshare currently. Also, don't let a handful of hostile users hold you back. There's also plenty of Linux users, including me and seemingly amehaye, who don't have anything against proprietary software

Comment

Working...
                    X