Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kano
    replied
    There is a much simpler reason why Steam users will switch to 64 bit: the integrated web browser is disabled. If the CPU can use 64 bit code, use a 64 bit OS.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    I'm interested to diversify the 2 platforms using the 32 bit for 32 bit utilities and the 64 bit platforms for 64bit utilities.
    But why? There isn't really any advantageous reason to do so in Linux - just stick with 64-bit. Seeing as you're willing to install both a 32 and 64 bit OS, clearly disk space isn't an issue to you - installing the necessary 32-bit libraries in a 64-bit OS is far more convenient.

Consider also that due to 4GB limitation, the video cards and other components are limited too... the more Vram the less system ram. If physx becomes an important elements for the game 4GB of system memory is very insufficient (in my opinion)-
    Most 32-bit Linux distros nowadays have PAE enabled, so there is no 4GB limitation. Still not a good reason to use 32-bit though.

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

I have never seen a reason for picking a 32-bit system over a 64-bit system if you are looking at a system that would be doing some gaming. As in, you will have 4GB of RAM or more, and you will need to have enough processing or graphics power which means you will have a 64-bit CPU.

Go with 64-bit OS.
    I'm interested to diversify the 2 platforms using the 32 bit for 32 bit utilities and the 64 bit platforms for 64bit utilities. Here why I asked to know about the game version distinguishing between 32 and 64 bit. However I assume the game in object is 32bit also if I prefer running 64 bit operating system in modern situation (and 32 bit for legacy). Nowadays I consider valid the 64bit games rather than the 32bit ones (also if developers continue to issue 32bit for marketing purpose (so to get a major compatibility) ... such as it happens to many games penalized by consoles which have less capabilities in confront of PC (See for example aliens colonial marines: a beauty opportunities ruined to adapt the game to the console standards of that period).

Consider also that due to 4GB limitation, the video cards and other components are limited too... the more Vram the less system ram. If physx becomes an important elements for the game 4GB of system memory is very insufficient (in my opinion)-
    Last edited by Azrael5; 24 March 2017, 06:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• profoundWHALE
    replied
    how to know if the game is 32 or 64bit or both so to chose the better system in which to install it?
    I have never seen a reason for picking a 32-bit system over a 64-bit system if you are looking at a system that would be doing some gaming. As in, you will have 4GB of RAM or more, and you will need to have enough processing or graphics power which means you will have a 64-bit CPU.

Go with 64-bit OS.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    It's probably worth pointing out that some games legitimately had issues staying under the 4GB virtual address limitations in 32 bit mode. Especially on busier sections. I don't think that was particularly common, but it's just another reason I'd go 64bit if the game ever gave a choice.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

yeah right. the app itself might not be faster if seen isolated. I assumed that the underlying OS and drivers might be accelerated a bit due to wider registers etc. and thus might increase the apps performance as a side effect
    It is theoretically possible to get better cache performance running 32bit programs on a 64bit OS, but reality is much more complicated. 1: Only in scenarios where the app will never address more than one or two gigs of RAM, and 2: Only in scenarios where the additional registers aren't adding up to an overall benefit. Things that will never ping the CPU to a high load and doesn't use very much RAM can theoretically have better cache performance if compiled to 32bits.Things like word processors or wysiwyg designers.
    Last edited by duby229; 24 March 2017, 12:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomme
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    In almost every possible scenario where you have a 64-bit CPU, you should be using a 64-bit OS. The only exceptions are:
    * if you are very limited by RAM
    * if you are very limited by disk space
    * you know for a fact that a device doesn't work in 64 bit due to a lack of drivers (which pretty much never applies to Linux)
    * if the 64-bit OS is bad at running 32-bit programs (like Windows XP 64 bit)

The performance loss when running a 32-bit program in a 64-bit OS is negligible, possibly even 0%. However, running a 32-bit OS with PAE is known to have a [minor] performance loss in pretty much any scenario where the application does not take advantage of at least 4GB of RAM.

You shouldn't see any performance increase when running 32-bit programs in a 64-bit OS. The program isn't able to take advantage of the extra registers, so best-case scenario it will perform the same way it would in a 32-bit OS. The extra usage of RAM when running a 32-bit application in a 64-bit OS is minimal.
    yeah right. the app itself might not be faster if seen isolated. I assumed that the underlying OS and drivers might be accelerated a bit due to wider registers etc. and thus might increase the apps performance as a side effect

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    so the 32bit games don't affect the performance when they run in a 64bit operating system?
    In almost every possible scenario where you have a 64-bit CPU, you should be using a 64-bit OS. The only exceptions are:
    * if you are very limited by RAM
    * if you are very limited by disk space
    * you know for a fact that a device doesn't work in 64 bit due to a lack of drivers (which pretty much never applies to Linux)
    * if the 64-bit OS is bad at running 32-bit programs (like Windows XP 64 bit)

The performance loss when running a 32-bit program in a 64-bit OS is negligible, possibly even 0%. However, running a 32-bit OS with PAE is known to have a [minor] performance loss in pretty much any scenario where the application does not take advantage of at least 4GB of RAM.

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
    they only need a bit more RAM, but run faster if you have enough RAM.
    You shouldn't see any performance increase when running 32-bit programs in a 64-bit OS. The program isn't able to take advantage of the extra registers, so best-case scenario it will perform the same way it would in a 32-bit OS. The extra usage of RAM when running a 32-bit application in a 64-bit OS is minimal.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 24 March 2017, 09:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomme
    replied

so the 32bit games don't affect the performance when they run in a 64bit operating system?
    they only need a bit more RAM, but run faster if you have enough RAM.

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

it's easy, use a 64bit system otherwise you are slowing down the CPU.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X