Day of Infamy Released For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

I have never seen a reason for picking a 32-bit system over a 64-bit system if you are looking at a system that would be doing some gaming. As in, you will have 4GB of RAM or more, and you will need to have enough processing or graphics power which means you will have a 64-bit CPU.

Go with 64-bit OS.
    I'm interested to diversify the 2 platforms using the 32 bit for 32 bit utilities and the 64 bit platforms for 64bit utilities. Here why I asked to know about the game version distinguishing between 32 and 64 bit. However I assume the game in object is 32bit also if I prefer running 64 bit operating system in modern situation (and 32 bit for legacy). Nowadays I consider valid the 64bit games rather than the 32bit ones (also if developers continue to issue 32bit for marketing purpose (so to get a major compatibility) ... such as it happens to many games penalized by consoles which have less capabilities in confront of PC (See for example aliens colonial marines: a beauty opportunities ruined to adapt the game to the console standards of that period).

Consider also that due to 4GB limitation, the video cards and other components are limited too... the more Vram the less system ram. If physx becomes an important elements for the game 4GB of system memory is very insufficient (in my opinion)-
    Last edited by Azrael5; 24 March 2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
      I'm interested to diversify the 2 platforms using the 32 bit for 32 bit utilities and the 64 bit platforms for 64bit utilities.
      But why? There isn't really any advantageous reason to do so in Linux - just stick with 64-bit. Seeing as you're willing to install both a 32 and 64 bit OS, clearly disk space isn't an issue to you - installing the necessary 32-bit libraries in a 64-bit OS is far more convenient.

Consider also that due to 4GB limitation, the video cards and other components are limited too... the more Vram the less system ram. If physx becomes an important elements for the game 4GB of system memory is very insufficient (in my opinion)-
      Most 32-bit Linux distros nowadays have PAE enabled, so there is no 4GB limitation. Still not a good reason to use 32-bit though.

Comment

There is a much simpler reason why Steam users will switch to 64 bit: the integrated web browser is disabled. If the CPU can use 64 bit code, use a 64 bit OS.

Comment

Working...
        X