Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Citizen Plans To Go Vulkan-Only

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #51
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    so the correct solution is to upgrade their version
    ... except that their version is forked and modified to the point where merging their work into a newer upstream (or upstream's work into their fork) would likely be very difficult. If it was easy, am pretty sure they would have already done it.

    It's not like they are using unmodified upstream cryengine and can just download the newer version and call it a day.

    Comment


    • #52
      Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      at this point they can learn some basics of software engineering like don't fork irresponsibly
      AFAIK it made sense for them to fork the engine, because they did need to heavily modify it to meet their needs, in ways that cannot continue being compatible with upstream.

      Comment


      • #53
        For completely finished game parts, I guess nothing can be mentioned until the game is actually released, but there is a city that you can walk around in, and a space station, and then there are space phenomenon you can visit and do missions at. There is a dedicated dog fighting module and an FPS module that can be played.

        As for the scope not being the same as when they started, that is completely true, since it has expanded a lot, but I fail to see how that is a bad thing.

        And with regard to CIG working on the engine, that was absolutely necessary to make the game.

        Sure it can still fail, but most of the criticism brought up seems to stem from ignorance of the project, rather than valid concerns.

        Comment


        • #54
          Originally posted by simonalsn View Post
          Sure it can still fail, but most of the criticism brought up seems to stem from ignorance of the project, rather than valid concerns.
          +1

          The standard cry-engine doesn't have 64 bit resolution, which is needed for the large sectors and a loading-screen free experience. The original CryEngine also doesn't support the texture-tech they are using now, it doesn't support the lighting-tech, it doesn't support the synced first+3rd person view, its doesn't support mesh-based hitreg, it doesn't support the zone system, it doesn't support the item system, it doesn't support the GOST-system, nor procedural generated planets nor the tools CIG created nor the network requirement.

          But yeah, lets go back to the turd cause reasons...

          Comment


          • #55
            Originally posted by Shevchen View Post
            +1

            The standard cry-engine doesn't have 64 bit resolution, which is needed for the large sectors and a loading-screen free experience. The original CryEngine also doesn't support the texture-tech they are using now, it doesn't support the lighting-tech, it doesn't support the synced first+3rd person view, its doesn't support mesh-based hitreg, it doesn't support the zone system, it doesn't support the item system, it doesn't support the GOST-system, nor procedural generated planets nor the tools CIG created nor the network requirement.

            But yeah, lets go back to the turd cause reasons...
            Creating an MMO from scratch is really hard. A lot of companies have tried and failed over the years, and I think that at times CIG assumed things would be easier than it turned out to be - but that's typical of the genre.

            A year ago or so I was starting to have doubts, but the last few updates I've seen (since last September-ish?) have me convinced they're on the right track now. They've got a massive amount of content to fill in, but I'm finally starting to see the systems come online and look solid rather than a quickly thrown together tech demo.

            Personally, I'm much more interested in the single-player campaign than the MMO so I'm a little disappointed in all the work that's gobbling up, but I suspect most of the people who have pledged probably feel the opposite way, so fair enough I suppose. I'm not convinced it will come out this year. I still think 2018 is the likely date, with 2019 for the MMO side.

            Comment


            • #56
              Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

              Creating an MMO from scratch is really hard. A lot of companies have tried and failed over the years, and I think that at times CIG assumed things would be easier than it turned out to be - but that's typical of the genre.
              I think if CR would know everything he knows today, he would've gone stuff like Unreal/Unity... or maybe not and would go the same way but hiring engine-tech-guys from the scratch. Most of the engine is custom so they had to do the work either way, if it would be CryEngine, Unity or Unreal. And if he would have known, he would reach 150m, while his initial goal was 2m... well, the whole pledge page would have looked different.

              Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              A year ago or so I was starting to have doubts, but the last few updates I've seen (since last September-ish?) have me convinced they're on the right track now. They've got a massive amount of content to fill in, but I'm finally starting to see the systems come online and look solid rather than a quickly thrown together tech demo.
              For me, its was the moment when I first saw a ship getting through atmo and landing on a planet. This was the point where I realized: Okay, the skeleton needs flesh, but its ready.

              Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              Personally, I'm much more interested in the single-player campaign than the MMO so I'm a little disappointed in all the work that's gobbling up, but I suspect most of the people who have pledged probably feel the opposite way, so fair enough I suppose. I'm not convinced it will come out this year. I still think 2018 is the likely date, with 2019 for the MMO side.
              Yeah... we can only guess here. I want SQ42 to be released this winter, but even the producers in charge can't give more than a rough guess. Something in the lines of "within the next 9 - 15 months".

              Comment

              Working...
              X