Keith Packard Comments On Valve Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by haagch View Post
    There are already APIs that do that, like VDPAU. And game developers have even been desperate enough to do something like

https://steamcommunity.com/app/25751...4088387719794/
    Interesting. Makes me wonder however how well this works when using a compositor then. For example watching a video with mpv's vdpau output spams the terminal with "Compositing window manager detected. Assuming timing info is inaccurate."
    This probably also means stuff like GLX_SGI_swap_control and GLX_SGI_video_sync (which mpv uses with the opengl vo) don't work properly when running under a compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by fishpls View Post
      (also, wayland will never "get" all the functionality of x)
      notabug wontfix

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
        Another way of looking at this is: How long did it take before Gnome became stable and functional enough for most users???
        Did it? Because I was under the strong impression that it didn't.

Comment

At the end of the they improving/fixing X issues is the way to go. Too many software depends on it, new software isn't always the best solution.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Did it? Because I was under the strong impression that it didn't.
            Of course it did, it's name is MATE Desktop, fully functional, logical, does not take functionality away, and improves on each iteration.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
              Another way of looking at this is: How long did it take before Gnome became stable and functional enough for most users???

For me that was about 3.16 ( Must be the 8th major release of their fancy new shell)
              Depends on who you ask. For me, it was perfectly usable since 3.0, no issues with functionality or stability. Others would argue it's still not there...

Comment

Figured as much. I think all the Valve devs are working on VR now, since that's the kind of thing they're trying to push at the moment.

And yes, Steam is going to be stuck on Xorg for a while, since the majority of games only support Xorg. So the question is not when Wayland is going to be ready, but rather when XWayland is going to be ready. And I'm pretty sure that whatever improvements are made for that will be in both Xorg and XWayland.

Comment

What is state of XWayland, how many % of work is done, approximately?

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post
                    One ships, the other does not.
                    you confused wayland with mir. wayland ships

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post

Interesting. Makes me wonder however how well this works when using a compositor then. For example watching a video with mpv's vdpau output spams the terminal with "Compositing window manager detected. Assuming timing info is inaccurate."
                      This probably also means stuff like GLX_SGI_swap_control and GLX_SGI_video_sync (which mpv uses with the opengl vo) don't work properly when running under a compositor.
                      Please inform yourself properly: mpv does NOT use these obsolete SGI extensions by default! Only when using GLX (instead of the better EGL) & activating "waitvsync" are they used (which is not recommended, by the way!).

Comment

Working...
                      X