Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late again, sorry. Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    which relate to mimapping and texture support.

Comment

Dx11 & Dx12 are only improvements. The first one to provide tessellation and some other effect, the second one to provide optimization. So Dx9 is the top base of DirectX considering that these apis are also able to provide the tessellation feature. The importance of directX consists to make possible the first step of full linux compatibility with the games based on microsoft systems in order to play the game as it is from the original disk applying some kind of libraries' adjustment (IMHO)

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

Apple has no intention of developing a Vulkan driver nor do they let anyone else write a Vulkan driver.
        What makes you state something like the above and how does it relate to MoltenVK?

Comment

Originally posted by W.Irrkopf View Post

What makes you state something like the above and how does it relate to MoltenVK?
          All if their recent computers run a good-enough-to-run-vulkan gpu but as they clearly have an agreement that the gpu makers wont release their own drivers for those chips you are stuck with what apple provides, which isnt vulkan. MoltonVK is a library that if i am not implements vulkan ontop of Metal. It's also not open source so not really a valid compromise

Comment

Originally posted by Trevelyan View Post
            I also still hope for OpenGL over Vulkan. Even if its 10% slower than native, its still easier to maintain than driver specific
            not easier than opengl state tracker(which is not driver specific)

Comment

Originally posted by W.Irrkopf View Post

Only Apple is allowed to write GPU drivers for Apple's OS.
              As for MVK it's not a driver so unrelated.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevelyan View Post
                It might have a better chance of being included in Wine, as the WineHQ people could no longer say its too Linux specific.

I also still hope for OpenGL over Vulkan. Even if its 10% slower than native, its still easier to maintain than driver specific and can be used on other OSes or even in Wine.

You'd only have to port (e.g. for the *BSDs) the much lighter Vulkan driver between OSes and HW revisions.
                The BSDs don't have a problem with Mesa, their problem has been with porting over the KMS drivers and related infrastructure which such a thing would have no effect on.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

All if their recent computers run a good-enough-to-run-vulkan gpu but as they clearly have an agreement that the gpu makers wont release their own drivers for those chips you are stuck with what apple provides, which isnt vulkan. MoltonVK is a library that if i am not implements vulkan on top of Metal. It's also not open source so not really a valid compromise
                  That MVK is closed source is probably not relevant, as we are talking about OSX. It still has a place as a licensed vulkan layer that can be used to port a game to metal from vulkan. It doesn't really have any role as a library that you will add to your OSX. This means that it won;t impact the wine guys, but maybe wine becomes less important in the future for gamers.

I am naively hopeful for the MVK effort, as it has the potential to deliver Vulkan to OSX without major performance impact.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post

That MVK is closed source is probably not relevant, as we are talking about OSX. It still has a place as a licensed vulkan layer that can be used to port a game to metal from vulkan. It doesn't really have any role as a library that you will add to your OSX. This means that it won;t impact the wine guys, but maybe wine becomes less important in the future for gamers.

I am naively hopeful for the MVK effort, as it has the potential to deliver Vulkan to OSX without major performance impact.
                    As a technology to port games you are exactly right about MVK, it doesn't matter about it's open source-ness because studios trying to port a Vulkan game to MacOS will have the funds to pay for a license. However it is a problem for Wine which is why there isn't much chance of getting VK9 getting merged into Wine like Trevelyan wanted. At least not while Apple refuses to let anyone have native Vulkan on MacOS, which admittedly could change in the 2-3 years the dev thinks it'll take for VK9 to be mostly complete. Somehow though I doubt it

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      DirectX 9 is from December 2002. Over 14 years old.
                      Are there any plans for DirectX 10, 11 and 12?
                      I don't have any immediate plans to work on 10, 11, or 12 but this is a question that comes up often so I setup channels for those in the VKx discord server. Personally almost all of the games I play are d3d9. I think the only exception is Ark and that is available on Linux anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X