No announcement yet.

Open-Source Radeon Performance Is Very Good For DiRT Rally On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if this is the same reason that the performance has regressed in this test, but I have found that lately I need to switch the CPU and GPU power profiles to performance to get the same performance that I did in the past on default settings.

With RX480 and 6700k on mesa git, llvm 3.9, linux 4.10, intel_pstate:
    This shader[1], on stock settings (powersave governor, dpm auto) I get 20fps. Once I switch over to performance[2], then I'm up at 60fps.

I first noticed this problem in games, but it's easier to see on shadertoy. Does anyone else have to do this as well?

[1] https://www.shadertoy.com/view/4ttSWf
    [2] $ sudo sh -c "echo 'high' > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level; cpupower frequency-set -g performance"

Comment

Originally posted by ItzExor View Post
      I don't know if this is the same reason that the performance has regressed in this test, but I have found that lately I need to switch the CPU and GPU power profiles to performance to get the same performance that I did in the past on default settings.
      My bug report is maybe related: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=99967

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
        Mine does scale up, I think the load is just not high enough overall and both governors interact badly with each other or something. For that particular shader I mentioned above, If I set CPU to performance then GPU clocking trends upwards a bit and I go from 20 to around 40FPS. If I leave CPU on powersave and only set GPU to max state, then the CPU trends up a bit as well and I'm at around 40fps again. If I enable both, they both sit at their max state all the time and I get around 60FPS.

Not every game/load changes that much. Games with higher load don't seem to change very much with these settings. Old games running on wine w/ gallium nine seem to get huge slowdowns if I leave it on standard. In CS:GO my fps varies wildly without this, but still averages pretty high > 200 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
          Will there be an RX 580 or RX VEGA?
          The RX 500 series comes out first, then a month later you could expect the RX VEGA to appear, which from the looks of it is going to have 3 flavors on top of the RX 580 performance level, still a bit confused exactly how their going to name them...

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

The RX 500 series comes out first, then a month later you could expect the RX VEGA to appear, which from the looks of it is going to have 3 flavors on top of the RX 580 performance level, still a bit confused exactly how their going to name them...
            I'm not to sure about that.
            If Vega is to be called RX Vega then i think it would make more sense to call the rebranded cards RX Polaris if there will be any rebranded cards..
            In the youtube link i posted it makes me think that there might not be any rx500 series at all.
            It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

This. AFAIK the 500 series are Polaris+ and the Vega lineup will be called RX Vega much as we have the R9 Fury.

Comment

What is missing is maybe a Linux vs. Windows comparison here.
                This is especially interesting as there are different minimum hardware requirements between the Linux and the Windows version.

E.g. while a Radeon 6870 should work fine on Windows, the game would probably not even start on Linux with the r600g driver.
                Also heise.de (link in German) tested a Bristol Ridge APU (A10-9700) to get 35 fps on Windows on 1080p with medium settings. I wonder if the Linux version would perform similarly.

Comment

I downloaded llvm 3.9.1 from http://releases.llvm.org/download.html#3.9.1 (careful: the debian binaries use the old c++ ABI, the ubuntu ones the new one) and build mesa the mesa 13.0.4 commit with it.
                  OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD POLARIS10 (DRM 3.11.0 / 4.10.0-g8fc7b85a6845, LLVM 3.9.1)

But I can't see much of a performance difference to my current setup with latest llvm svn and mesa git, around 80 fps on medium (I only tried actual gameplay, no the benchmark).
                  OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD POLARIS10 (DRM 3.11.0 / 4.10.0-g8fc7b85a6845, LLVM 5.0.0)
                  kernel is drm-next-4.12-wip

Has anyone tested this on archlinux or so and got the "regression" reversed? I wanted to bisect but if I can't get the good performance, not much luck...

edit: Okay, I think with echo high > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level I have some performance difference. It's not that big though, more like 80->100 fps. Still, only ingame, not benchmark. Maybe I should run that.
                  Last edited by haagch; 03 March 2017, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Here are my results. Note that I have a much slower CPU than Michael. It's Core i5 3570. The GPU is Radeon Fury X.

I was running the benchmark at 1920x1080, Ultra settings.

Mesa 13.0 + LLVM 3.9: 69.6 FPS
                    Mesa 17.1-git + LLVM 3.9: 69.6 FPS
                    Mesa 17.1-git + LLVM 4.0: 70.4 FPS
                    Mesa 17.1-git + LLVM 5.0svn: 71 FPS

Comment

Bought it because of linux support

But unplayable on my favrourite linux platform
                      Code:
                         PROCESSOR:          AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 2.80GHz (6 Cores)
                          Core Count:       6
                          Extensions:       SSE 4a
                          Cache Size:       512 KB
                          Microcode:        0x10000dc
                          Scaling Driver:   acpi-cpufreq schedutil

GRAPHICS:           MSI AMD Radeon RX 460 2048MB
                          OpenGL:           4.5 Mesa 17.0.2 Gallium 0.4 (LLVM 3.9.1)
                          Display Driver:   modesetting 1.19.3
                          Monitor:          2963
                          Screen:           2560x1080

MOTHERBOARD:        ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
                          Memory:           12288MB
                          Chipset:          AMD RS880
                          Network:          Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411

DISK:               2 x 500GB Western Digital WD5000AAKS-0 + 64GB KINGSTON SNV425S + 63GB SanDisk SDSSDP06 + 2000GB Expansion Desk
                          File-System:      ext4
                          Mount Options:    data=ordered relatime rw
                          Disk Scheduler:   CFQ

OPERATING SYSTEM:   Arch Linux
                          Kernel:           4.10.6-1-ARCH (x86_64)
                          Desktop:          KDE Frameworks 5
                          Compiler:         GCC 6.3.1 20170306
                      So sadly no brainer to play it on win 10 as far as I am concerned ... for now!
                      Last edited by kamelie1706; 03 April 2017, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X