Open-Source Radeon Performance Is Very Good For DiRT Rally On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Radeon Performance Is Very Good For DiRT Rally On Linux

Phoronix: Open-Source Radeon Performance Is Very Good For DiRT Rally On Linux

DiRT Rally is the latest game from Feral Interactive that has launch-day open-source AMD graphics support, a welcome improvement from the past. Thanks to the ever maturing state of the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver and Feral's increased Radeon testing, there is good out-of-the-box Radeon support for this AAA racing game on Linux.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=24216

Wow! Now, that is really nice performance! This is going to be one of my next purchases!

Comment

Not bad, but there's something nasty in Mesa git.

Comment

Good job Feral. I think every port they've put out has better and better performance. This looks good for the future of Linux gaming!

With Vulkan ports on there way, I can't wait to see what Feral bring us.

Comment

It's definitely nice to see open source drivers themselves improve, but it's even nicer to see software taking advantage of those improved drivers becoming available.
          Last edited by L_A_G; 03-02-2017, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
            Wow! Now, that is really nice performance! This is going to be one of my next purchases!
            Yep!
            I have the same feeling
            I can barely wait to buy my Radeon RX 480 and use it with the open source driver to play this game.
            I can finally play a nice racing game on Linux and be happy!
            Congratulations to AMD!
            Congratulations to RadeonSI and MESA developers!
            Congratulations to Feral and Valve for helping the gamers on Linux!

Comment

Great performance, even on my old card! Wishlisted.

Comment

rx 480 around gtx 1060
                finally cards perform undder linux as they should

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  I can barely wait to buy my Radeon RX 480
                  Just hold off a little bit longer! The RX 580 supposed to be out next month. Better clock speeds etc than the 480 for a similar price I'd bet.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
                    rx 480 around gtx 1060
                    finally cards perform undder linux as they should
                    Depends on how they should perform - from the raw performance the RX 480 should be >20% faster than the GTX 1060. But on the other hand this is not likely achieve with OpenGL, and also not with DX11 so these numbers represent a high quality port showing that OpenGL is capable to keep up when you eliminate CPU limitations. But I'm sure a lot of work had to be done so I like to thank Feral for the improving quality! I highly appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                    X