Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Developer Posts High Priority AMDGPU Scheduling Support

Phoronix: Valve Developer Posts High Priority AMDGPU Scheduling Support

Valve developer Andres Rodriguez has posted a set of 22 patches for supporting high priority scheduling within the AMDGPU kernel driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have this currently from just regular Mac games. Miss the 90s.

Comment

I don't miss them.

Comment

This is exactly what wayland compositors needs! well done Valve!

Comment

Originally posted by sp82 View Post
          This is exactly what wayland compositors needs! well done Valve!
          Just curious : why ?

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

I guess so an application can't delay the compositor, so it doesn't drop frames. But as far as I know the application won't render another frame until the compositor has finished anyway... if it's doing vsync.
            I think it's solved currently by the compositor not doing anything GPU intensive when a full-screen application is running (Kwin does that, it disables all animations when full video or game is running).

Comment

As long as this doesn't result in more userspace code to be run as root, sounds probably fine

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

For the same reason VR compositors need high priority context: never miss a frame maintaining the lowest input lag as possible.
                With an High priority context I think is possible to create a compositor with less than a 1ms latency, like transparent to the application.
                For more details look here: http://ppaalanen.blogspot.it/2015/02...cheduling.html

Surprisingly the VR compositor are very similar to a wayland protocol with extra warping stuff.
                I would like to see a protocol for VR in the wayland specs to allow applications that render VR 3D and Stereo content in a VR desktops.
                Last edited by sp82; 01 March 2017, 05:10 AM.

Comment

isnt exclusive to VR. Fullscreen games need to have priority rendering that screen.

Comment

Originally posted by sp82 View Post

For the same reason VR compositors need high priority context: never miss a frame maintaining the lowest input lag as possible.
                    With an High priority context I think is possible to create a compositor with less than a 1ms latency, like transparent to the application.
                    For more details look here: http://ppaalanen.blogspot.it/2015/02...cheduling.html

Surprisingly the VR compositor are very similar to a wayland protocol with extra warping stuff.
                    I would like to see a protocol for VR in the wayland specs to allow applications that render VR 3D and Stereo content in a VR desktops.
                    I'm not very familiar with the wayland compositor, so I don't know if they use compute or graphics shaders for the composition work. But note that hardware assisted priorities are currently only available for compute shaders. For graphics shaders there will be minimal improvement (gfx pre-emption would be required to enable that scenario).

Comment

Working...
                    X