Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SteamVR On Linux Currently Runs Well On At Least A GeForce GTX 1070/1080

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SteamVR On Linux Currently Runs Well On At Least A GeForce GTX 1070/1080

    Phoronix: SteamVR On Linux Currently Runs Well On At Least A GeForce GTX 1070/1080

    I've been testing out SteamVR on Linux with the HTC Vive the past few days. From my time spent and trying out various graphics cards with Destinations, Dota 2, and Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter, my impressions is that for this Linux VR beta at least a GeForce GTX 1070 or GTX 1080 is really needed for good performance.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=24200

  • #2
    I hope you are enjoying it mate - it seems like you needed a good game playing break!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by boxie View Post
      I hope you are enjoying it mate - it seems like you needed a good game playing break!
      It's been an interesting experience. After a while it gives headaches though, so not like hours of gaming...
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Michael View Post
        It's been an interesting experience. After a while it gives headaches though, so not like hours of gaming...
        In my experience, headaches are usually because the lenses aren't focused properly, or, because the games don't position the "eyes" correctly.
        Nausea, meanwhile, is my bane.

        Comment


        • #5
          It's not really usable on radv, too much stutter and bad performance. The next SteamVR update will hopefully bring considerable improvements.

          Interleaved reprojection is broken on radv and they haven't figured out yet why...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            In my experience, headaches are usually because the lenses aren't focused properly, or, because the games don't position the "eyes" correctly.
            Nausea, meanwhile, is my bane.
            And I just usually get a headache a day at least anyhow, so rather prone to getting headaches in VR, but yeah still playing around with the lens focus.
            Michael Larabel
            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by haagch View Post
              It's not really usable on radv, too much stutter and bad performance. The next SteamVR update will hopefully bring considerable improvements.
              Apart from steamvr the radv vulkan driver itself needs to become fast.

              Comment


              • #8
                Awesome! It's good to see that VR is at least somewhat functional on Linux. Now if only it didn't take so much horsepower to run...
                Main System: Xeon E3-1231 v3, 16Gb RAM, GTX 950, Arch + Cinnamon/Gnome
                Server: Gigabyte Brix i7H-5500, i7 5500u, 16gb RAM, Arch Headless

                Comment


                • #9
                  IMHE (in my humble experience) VR sickness appears in game where you move in the virtual environment, such as Serious Sam VR or DiRT Rally. I could play for hours to games where you are in a fixed position.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by humbug View Post
                    Apart from steamvr the radv vulkan driver itself needs to become fast.
                    Plagman says Serious Sam is playable with the upcoming SteamVR update.

                    radv still has its performance troubles, but it should be well enough for the simpler things already.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X