NVIDIA/Radeon Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux Relative Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This benchmark lacks WINE results.
    In opengl are square and in Vulkan less than 5% better (in Nvidia), AMD is still not ready for Linux gaming.
    So as at this moment directx versions are superior the lack of WINE benchmarks makes impossible to compare MS WOS vs Ubuntu with directx, the best game library at this moment, and I wish and bet that Vulkan will be better in a near future.

Comment

On the topic of CPU schedulers Win vs GNU/Linux: I've got really awful experience today, and I want to tell about it.

Thankfully my work has an equal share of development for GNU/Linux and Windows, so tho most devs usually have Windows running as a host, and GNU/Linux in VM, but I do the reverse: GNU/Linux is a host, Windows in VM. But today I had to run Windows as a host, and… Well, it's a lot of problems, but I gonna stay on the topic: geez its scheduler is terrible!

I simply ran build of arm-gnueabihf-gcc on all cores. Can you believe: it started lagging as hell! Everything just hangs and freezes, I can't open a browser, task manager, I can't do anything at all! I asked colleagues if it's a common behavior, their answer was like "you ran a build on all cores, what would you expect??".

For comparison: at home, on Archlinux, with a computer 3 times weeker(!), it is absolutely usual for me to run a build with a number of threads twice as I have the cores (by the number of virtual+real cores), then on another workspace run Chromium, and watch youtube whilst it's building, with no slightest lags!

Geez, people, you really don't want their scheduler, that is kind of shitty experience. I did not really understand my neighbor coworker when he was swearing that because of some intensive tasks "It's impossible to work!", I thought he is just annoyed, and somewhat exaggerating. Now I can tell you: it is literally impossible to work, it's like, pray for the task to get finished, or reboot the computer!

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
        I simply ran build of arm-gnueabihf-gcc on all cores. Can you believe: it started lagging as hell! Everything just hangs and freezes, I can't open a browser, task manager, I can't do anything at all! I asked colleagues if it's a common behavior, their answer was like "you ran a build on all cores, what would you expect??".
        I would have asked "On Linux I do a build on all cores every 3 days and it's not even an issue, why on Windows it locks up everything?" and after the answer I would have vehemently declared "Windows SUXXXX you loooozaaars!"

Now you can probably understand what the user experience of PCs with crappy CPUs on Windows is.

On linux it is still ugly like that if you start disk-intensive processes, but hopefully the "new" I/O scheduler merged mainline should save us all.

Comment

Working...
        X