Wine 2.2 Arrives, Still Prepping For The Direct3D Command Stream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Helios747 View Post
    Probably less of that and more of "Setting the prefix to Win7 fixes a ton of issues in many known cases and it's reasonably stable enough to set as default"
    But I'd imagine it also creates a ton of issues in other cases. The OS identification is supposed to be a sort of feature set to expect...

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    Then set it back to < Win7 or stop using development releases.
    Uh. I'm not using development releases and I always set it manually to whatever is appropriate. Why the harsh tone?

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      Gallium will never be merged into wine as long as it doesn't benefit corporate who cares about Mac support more than Linux since their income is mostly Mac WINE sales as I hear it.
      Actually reading through the links in PR shows non of those angry refusals that people like to talk about in forums, not even "it's only useful to gallium drivers". Pretty quite and technical discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

But I'd imagine it also creates a ton of issues in other cases. The OS identification is supposed to be a sort of feature set to expect...

Uh. I'm not using development releases and I always set it manually to whatever is appropriate. Why the harsh tone?
        It is mostly about what GetVersionEx() returns. Good for installers determining if they're running on a supported OS and allowing/disallowing installations. When it comes to "critical" code, code paths are chosen a bit more carefully than relying on a version number. If not, it isn't really wine's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
          Actually reading through the links in PR shows non of those angry refusals that people like to talk about in forums, not even "it's only useful to gallium drivers". Pretty quite and technical discussions.
          Their reasoning was primarily based on hardly anyone uses Gallium drivers. Which was technically true a couple of years ago when Catalyst was a thing. But since then AMD users are now using RadeonSi/R600 drivers, so it shouldn't be an excuse. I'd like to see how they feel about DX9->Vulkan since Mac doesn't have Vulkan drivers.
          Last edited by Dukenukemx; 19 February 2017, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
            Gallium will never be merged into wine as long as it doesn't benefit corporate who cares about Mac support more than Linux since their income is mostly Mac WINE sales as I hear it.
            Who cares about Wine, it's all about Wine-Staging. I'd like to know why they haven't allowed for Gallium nine? Just give me that check box already.

Comment

So far it was critique on the technical approach to connect nine and wine, but that might change with the new PR. No comment on that has been made yet.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                It is mostly about what GetVersionEx() returns. Good for installers determining if they're running on a supported OS and allowing/disallowing installations. When it comes to "critical" code, code paths are chosen a bit more carefully than relying on a version number. If not, it isn't really wine's fault.
                I suppose so. As for choosing critical code paths more carefully... you'd think that, but if there's anything that the User Agent string has tought us, is that if someone can get it wrong they will. Hell, if you don't have "Mozilla/5.0" in it, you get blocked on various websites, despite it literally not meaning anything any more. Sigh.

Comment

Working...
                X