• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by axfelix View Post
      This should also work on higher-end Intel (5200/6200/540/550/580/630), but I'm curious how well.
      It can be played on anything as you can take down graphics settings, resolution... but on whatever settings only if CPU is very fast enough, that is real requirement
      Last edited by dungeon; 09 February 2017, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LEW21 View Post

Two years ago you were right. Right now - AMD drivers are the better ones.
        What?

In what universe are the AMD drivers better than Nvidia's?

There isn't much you can do as a game developer if you rely on features that some driver doesn't support well.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

It can be played on anything as you can take down graphics settings, resolution... but on whatever settings only if CPU is very fast enough, that is real requirement
          Not necessarily! Civ 6 has relatively high minimum requirements, and I was actually surprised that Firaxis would release a game that required a discrete GPU, because in the past they were always pretty conscious of trying to maximize their audience, and the market for games that don't get console ports but require discrete GPUs is actually pretty small.

Comment

So I'm using the latest LLVM & Mesa from git, the intro video plays but then the game errors out with:

Civ6: /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/llvm-9999/work/llvm-9999/lib/Target/AMDGPU/SIMachineScheduler.cpp:1584: void llvm::SIScheduleBlockScheduler::blockScheduled(llv m::SIScheduleBlock*): Assertion `LiveRegsConsumers[RegP.first] == 0' failed.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post

What?

There isn't much you can do as a game developer if you rely on features that some driver doesn't support well.
              RadeonSI supports the latest version of OpenGL; and if something doesn't work correctly, they can report a bug or patch Mesa.

And how are they better? They work with Wayland, they're integrating nicely with the Linux GPU stack, and they crash when developers use out-of-standard hacks that propertiary drivers quietly tolerate - forcing them to fix their code.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post
                When I see somebody saying this:

... crashes constantly on newer NVIDIA drivers so I’ve not been able to play it for a long time now.
                ... and I'm not having the same problems. That's when AMD drivers are better.
                Last edited by M@GOid; 09 February 2017, 04:05 PM.

Comment

AMD Mesa is really good Imo. There's still room for improvement but AMD is a solid choice vs Nvidia on Linux as of now.

Goodbye GTX 970s, hello RX 480s. Getting ready for the welcoming party for Vega & RyZen

Comment

Originally posted by LEW21 View Post

RadeonSI supports the latest version of OpenGL; and if something doesn't work correctly, they can report a bug or patch Mesa.

And how are they better? They work with Wayland, they're integrating nicely with the Linux GPU stack, and they crash when developers use out-of-standard hacks that propertiary drivers quietly tolerate - forcing them to fix their code.
                    Technically NVidia works on wayland. Technically it is a DRM driver with the ability to run outside X. That is what I am doing on arch. But yeah, what really socks is that their drivers do not use GBM.

AMD drivers integrate really well with the linux stack, but I would not call them better yet. It is about performance. Even if they work really well, you get RX 480 from fury, RX 470 from the 480 etc. But if I had to choose, I would pick AMD. Even after not having it in the 6000 series days when I still used windoze and drivers were awful.

Comment

Performance vs Stability.

I find AMD stability is worth the few GPS temporary disadvantage. But that's just my needs/use case.

Comment

Working...
                      X