Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civilization VI Is Shipping For Linux This Week, NVIDIA Support - AMD Works With Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really want to support Linux devs, but I'll wait to see some benchmarks on how it runs on AMD/mesa (and what are the issues) before I purchase it.

Comment

I saw no bug reports for this what-so-ever so I don't know what their issue is or how they expect it to get fixed if they believe its a driver issue.

Comment

Will Linux and Windows users be able to play multiplayer together I wonder?!

EDIT: I guess not, how do they expect to get good sales of this game under Linux with so many issues with it such as poor AMD support and limited MP... pfft .Look devs, don't go complaining in 2 months time how this game sells poorly under Linux ok! Tried explaining issue with BIS-ARMA3 also, they have the same issues which make it a HARD sale on Linux...
        Last edited by theriddick; 07 February 2017, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Why does this still happen?
          with the current state of openGL support on both AMDGPU PRO and MESA what is the reason for this?

Comment

They can't be serious, this is just ridiculous.

Comment

I'm betting the bugs are game-related, not driver-related - hence, no bug reports. If true, I'll be giving this a miss.

Hopefully they'll open up about the issues and the reasons for them, instead of just leaving the community in the dark or to figure it out for themselves. But if it's their inability to fix their own bugs, I can somewhat understand why they wouldn't want to clarify.

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post
                I'm betting the bugs are game-related, not driver-related - hence, no bug reports. If true, I'll be giving this a miss.
                yep, We should not support these practices by purchasing these IHV specific games. I will be giving this a miss too.

game should never have been released in this state... if somebody did this on windows there would be a shitstorm, people expect (rightly) that PC gaming = cross vendor support using industry standard APIs like directx/openGL/vulkan.

in years gone by we only excused this behaviour on linux because of the state of the AMD drivers.
                Last edited by humbug; 07 February 2017, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                  Why does this still happen?
                  with the current state of openGL support on both AMDGPU PRO and MESA what is the reason for this?
                  Reason is because minimum requirements for Windows is Radeon HD 5570, while for MacOS same minimum is HD 6970

These GL ports from DX11 require quite more beefier hardware, maybe one maybe couple gens newer hardware preferably and futher use not yet tested non nvidia driver paths
                  Last edited by dungeon; 07 February 2017, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Also that Angry Penguin, who asked the question uses Catalyst still on HD 5xxx hardware and Aspyr probably answering something else... because question is not clear if object is unknown so answer became weird

Angry Penguin chooses to use Catalyst as that driver is faster and more stable for him than opensource r600 and it also have GL4 support

I would also say "with issues" as safeguard as AMD hardware uses radeon/amdgpu/fglrx/pro r600/radeonsi/fglrx/amdgpu drivers, further some mixes might be possible one never knows ... so on average when you have that it might work fine or not on some of these, then what else to say than unsupported?
                    Last edited by dungeon; 07 February 2017, 01:07 AM.

Comment

No AMD support and no MP with Windows? Ok, wake me up when you have something I can buy.

Comment

Working...
                      X