Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what os for playing quake4/doom3/prey and steam with ati hd3850 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what os for playing quake4/doom3/prey and steam with ati hd3850 ?

i restart an old pc that is now like new... when i launched mint 18 and searched for a proprietary driver : they were none for the old hd 3850...
    i want to play quake4/doom3/prey and steam games of valve , plus make it a lan server
    card is OpenGL‎: ‎OpenGL 3.3 Direct3D‎: ‎Direct3D 10.1‎; ‎Shader Model 4.1
    so what os ?
    and where to check latest drivers ? [i also have a hd5k and feel that soon there will not be driver for distros..]

juste a post to add that i think of ubuntu 12.04 , will i be able to get proprietary drivers ?

Comment

12.04 is perfect for steam...drivers are integrated : may be hardware icon could show that and do settings of catalyst panel ..
      i wonder if cpu microcode update driver is loaded either ?
      playing l4d2 is not that hot because i got only 35 fps ...but is a good sign...
      i ll install quake4...

Comment

doom3 quake4 prey quakewar ... all installed at once ..without packages missing...
        12.04 is the linux XP ;"]
        May be i ll had quake3 ...

Comment

i installed all id games i own.... but only quake 3&4 are playing ... prey or doom3 close windows while dedicated servers are running , quakewar does like previous but after crash i have to log os....
          beside that how can i launch multiple vlc windows ?

Comment

i tried to install ati drivers 13.1....and finally understood where problems are coming from.... the kernel now coming with update has the Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) system . while old drivers for my card are not made with that system ... free drivers only...so i have to end ubuntu : viva win10 or 7...i am happy : i will play wolfenstein ;'] that was not ported...

Comment

Working...
            X