Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solus Linux Working On A Flatpak-Based, Optimized Steam Runtime

Phoronix: Solus Linux Working On A Flatpak-Based, Optimized Steam Runtime

The Solus Linux developers have been working on their "Linux Steam Integration" for Steam and improvements around the Steam runtime, with this being one of the distributions interested in good Linux performance and making use of some Clear Linux optimizations, while their next step is looking at Flatpak-packaging up of libraries needed by the Steam runtime to fork a Flatpak-happy Linux gaming setup...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The project is doing a lot of good work. I hope valve takes notice of this. Heck this would make a good OS for a steambox.

Comment

it certainly is interesting. It would be very interesting if games on linux in the future all came as flatpack (or similar), I could see wine being made use of quite nicely here, especially if developers suddenly had an easy way to push their games without much in the way of care

Comment

Pseudo-WinSxS almost 20 years after WinSxS. It'll work, it's proven itself, it's still being used today.

Comment

The LTS releases of Ubuntu are great for servers, but Solus may be the choice going forward for desktops in a non corporate environment.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            Pseudo-WinSxS almost 20 years after WinSxS. It'll work, it's proven itself, it's still being used today.
            That WinSxS folder is responsible for like 30 GB of disk usage on my Windows 7 machine for some reason. It's maddening.

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post
              The LTS releases of Ubuntu are great for servers, but Solus may be the choice going forward for desktops in a non corporate environment.
              Most of what I've read about it looks good. It's hard to switch distros (since you're essentially installing from scratch) but I'm going to give it a try soon maybe in a VM or on a blank disk. Only things up in the air for me would be repos / software and the DE. (I'm not a fan of Unity or G3 myself so maybe Budgie is an improvement.)

Comment

Michael, why don't you benchmark Solus too to see how it fares against Clear Linux, etc.

It would be cool to see how much performance Clear Linux optimizations + Native Libs can give!

johnc Try it on a blank disk. Solus doesn't perform well on a VM.

Comment

Yes, many many many times yes.

Comment

So users of other distros will be able to benefit too? Nice one!

Comment

Working...
                    X