Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam's Recent Linux Changes Have Been Promoted To Stable

Phoronix: Steam's Recent Linux Changes Have Been Promoted To Stable

At the beginning of 2017 Valve released a Steam client beta with noteworthy Linux improvements. With today's Steam stable client update, all of those changes are included...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I remember a time when everyone thought you were crazy for reporting on the Steam client on Linux well in advance of it's actual release.

Comment

Hmm but does Portal 2 work without deleting its bundled libstdc++.so.6 or setting LD_PRELOAD? I was on the beta and that was still broken for me. The difference with this game is that the library is bundled with the game itself, not just in the Steam runtime. This is partly why I wrote to Valve last week. We need to know if deleting files like this could trigger VAC. Still waiting to hear back.

Comment

Does this mess up LSI (Linux Steam Integration) on Solus? ikey_solus

Comment

Just updated here, on Fedora 25. When I open the "system information" menu in the client, it crashes. I can reproduce it 100% on two different machines, anyone else seeing this?

Here's the messages I get:
          Code:
          dbus[14620]: arguments to dbus_connection_ref() were incorrect, assertion "connection->generation == _dbus_current_generation" failed in file ../../dbus/dbus-connection.c line 2686.
          This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.

assert_20170120004212_1.dmp[14863]: Uploading dump (out-of-process)
          /tmp/dumps/assert_20170120004212_1.dmp
          /home/r1348/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: riga 727: 14620 Errore di segmentazione (core dump creato) $STEAM_DEBUGGER "$STEAMROOT/$STEAMEXEPATH" "$@"
          Refresh rate: 1
          assert_20170120004212_1.dmp[14863]: Finished uploading minidump (out-of-process): success = yes
          assert_20170120004212_1.dmp[14863]: response: CrashID=bp-1b7186cd-3a03-49f7-9ecd-08f2e2170119
          assert_20170120004212_1.dmp[14863]: file ''/tmp/dumps/assert_20170120004212_1.dmp'', upload yes: ''CrashID=bp-1b7186cd-3a03-49f7-9ecd-08f2e2170119''
          Last edited by r1348; 19 January 2017, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
            Hmm but does Portal 2 work without deleting its bundled libstdc++.so.6 or setting LD_PRELOAD?
            THe recent changes are meant to 'prefer' native system libraries over bundled ones. I haven't tested this however.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
              Hmm but does Portal 2 work without deleting its bundled libstdc++.so.6 or setting LD_PRELOAD? I was on the beta and that was still broken for me. The difference with this game is that the library is bundled with the game itself, not just in the Steam runtime. This is partly why I wrote to Valve last week. We need to know if deleting files like this could trigger VAC. Still waiting to hear back.
              Nope it still doesn't work, I have same issue with Black Mesa. You can get both to work though by inputting LD_PRELOAD in the launch options

Comment

Originally posted by NihilMomentum View Post
                Does this mess up LSI (Linux Steam Integration) on Solus? ikey_solus
                Works fine here with latest Steam & LSI on both stable and beta: https://ibin.co/39UIkQrNHHbH.png

Note that we're now working towards the next evolution in providing LSI, i.e. deprecating the current implementation in favour of a more universal approach for all Linux users:
                Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

The proposal to Valve: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...ment-273950909 (explained/summarized a bit on my G+ post)

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                  Just updated here, on Fedora 25. When I open the "system information" menu in the client, it crashes. I can reproduce it 100% on two different machines, anyone else seeing this?
                  This is an issue in Steam, relying on behaviour that is patched in Ubuntu, much like https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...ux/issues/4464

You should be able to workaround this by exporting this before running Steam (or use LSI which already does this):

Code:
                  export DBUS_FATAL_WARNINGS=0
                  Last edited by ikey_solus; 19 January 2017, 10:55 PM. Reason: Indicated it's not the exact same issue, but the same nature

Comment

some games (for example star conflict) still require old libs and fail to start except you add env STEAM_RUNTIME_PREFER_HOST_LIBRARIES=0 to the command

Comment

Working...
                    X