Valve May Be Moving Closer With Their VR Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    You're just butthurt because MS has no VR headset.
    MS does has a AR headset which is way, way better than VR: http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us
    Last edited by Vistaus; 14 January 2017, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

MS does has a AR headset which is way, way better than VR: http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us
      AR is a completely different thing. It's also currently much more expensive and much less immersive with its tiny field of view. VR is already technically good enough, it just doesn't have many great games yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

It's too expensive and it's really just a halfway solution. You can't use more than 2 senses (hearing/vision) with current "VR" technology which makes what you can do with it very limited. That being said, people paying for it makes companies want to invest more into it so maybe we'll see something worthwhile in 30 years.
        Obvious troll that hasn't tried it.

It's not just headphones and a display attatched to your head, the positioning is what makes it different and makes you feel "present" and immersive. The very accurate controllers are also 1000x better than the Wii shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
          Yeah I know Hololens and AR in general, and I think they are awesome, mind me.

I know enough to tell you that it is a huge pain in the ass to get that right (and Hololens is still very immature), far harder than VR.
          Hololens isn't just doing what a VR headset does (motion detection and adjusting the image, stereoscopic vision), but also true machine vision as if it has to generate stuff "on your table" it must know where the table is, its shape and all, avoid any extraneous objects on it and so on and so forth, and that is still a work-in-progress in cutting edge robotics and automation too.

Did you notice that in all situations where they showed Hololens the environment was VERY bare? With furniture with very boxy shapes, different colours for each piece of forniture and also for floor, and no weird objects with all sorts of shapes and colors that would be piled everywhere in a real home? That's because their machine vision software is immature (just like any other machine-vision software, they can't get much better than that currently).

Also people reported glitches with the holograms clipping through solid objects (like glitches in videogames) during the real tests with real people.

VR is a piece of cake if compared to true AR like Hololens. Still, MS has no VR headset, and Master is probably very butthurt about that, so I was just pointing it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
            VR is dead. No chance of taking off. People don't want it. Linux fanbois need not apply.
            As a Linux fanboy I want it. I applied by buying an Oculus Rift DK2 when they told their customers they "supported" linux, but then never got past partial and buggy support. Currently I have an OSVR HDK2, but their developers are overworked with the extremely hard task of trying to implement something innovative on windows and have it work seamlessly. If I didn't know better, I'd think that microsoft makes that extra hard on the developers, because microsoft knows that 99% of their customers won't switch to another operating system anytime soon, and so hardware vendors HAVE to waste their time trying to make their stuff work on windows. Wait, do I really know better?

Back to topic: Here is a short interview with an independent developer working on SteamVR support for Linux in Unreal Engine 4:
            http://www.vronlinux.com/articles/ya...r-ue4-linux.49
            You can send him some $$ on patreon if you want to see this work sooner than later.

You're just butthurt because MS has no VR headset.
            You are far behind the curve.
            http://www.roadtovr.com/first-look-w...-dell-hp-acer/
            Dell has a wired Windows Holographic VR headset on the way this year, but its future holds a standalone device too. That’s what Liam Quinn, Chief Technology Officer and Senior Vice President at the company told me during CES last week. Quinn said that the company is doing a

I don't understand why people are so eager to lock themselves into the microsoft ecosystem. Every other day you see articles like http://www.roadtovr.com/virtual-real...-sarah-downey/. People are constantly begging corporations not to abuse the power the people gave them by installing their proprietary software in the first place.

Today you can run a software stack with libreboot, linux, radeonsi+radeon/amdgpu, OSVR SDK, open source VR application and have the only "untrusted" software be the radeon firmware. But people don't give a shit about OSVR on Linux. Not even the Sensics/Razer/OSVR themselves care enough to make their unity and unreal plugins work on Linux. Instead people prefer to install untrusted (= closed source) software and then they complain about all the privacy implications of having to trust closed source software.

SteamVR is not a solution to that. It's a closed source runtime and even OpenVR (a wrapper library around SteamVR) is closed source. Of course having it on Linux is a step forward, but it's only one step.

The most important step will be khronos' upcoming standard: https://www.khronos.org/vr
            It will be what OSVR could have been, if people cared.

Comment

Originally posted by Auzy View Post
              And I think that if the headsets cost only $200, everyone would buy them.
              I don't know... perhaps they might, but would they actually put them to much use? With the exception of standard input devices (keyboards, mice, gamepads), I think many people don't want to be bogged down with accessories (HMDs, guitar controllers, light guns, dance pads, 3D glasses, etc). The novelty wears off, depth of quality (i.e. a rich catalog of quality games or movies making worthwhile use of the technology, not just a handful) isn't really there to replace the lost novelty, and then these accessories are left as unwieldy, superfluous pieces of junk you have to store someplace.

Buy the all new Power Glove 2.0, now with Kung Fu Grip!
              Last edited by eidolon; 15 January 2017, 01:09 AM.

Comment

I've wanted VR forever, and I enjoy Google Cardboard. I may hack my phone hardware ID to get daydream and as soon as Vive support hits Linux I'm going to buy one, maybe two. Even if it is just a gimmick or a fad, I have to find out for myself.

Comment

1. they are not made by MS but by OEMs
                  2. they are basically equivalents of apps using your phone for VR "scale across mainstream Intel architecture platforms natively on [Intel’s CPU-integrated] HD Graphics,” by the end of 2017" Yeah, right, VR on HD graphics man, that's going to totally pwn in games.

I don't understand why people are so eager to lock themselves into the microsoft ecosystem.
                  Because it's the PC ecosystem. PCs are shipped with Windows pre-installed, all games on PC run on Windows, other OS are secondary to that.

People are constantly begging corporations not to abuse the power the people gave them by installing their proprietary software in the first place.
                  Uhm, no, that's the alternate reality you live in. In this reality most people don't give a fuck or don't comprehend the difference or both.

Also the people gave power to corporations? Lolwhut? Corps took their power on their own by whatever means were necessary to make money.
                  Hell, even governments that should theoretically have received the power from the people don't give a fuck about their own citizens and bend over big $$$ will.

Instead people prefer to install untrusted (= closed source) software and then they complain about all the privacy implications of having to trust closed source software.
                  Those that complain are a tiny minority in this reality we live in.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    d2kx sad for me that you drop me. and this without any word. I thought we were friends
                    Dude what?

Comment

1. they are not made by MS but by OEMs
                      True, but they are windows-only headsets. They are even literally called "Windows 10 Headsets".

Also the people gave power to corporations? Lolwhut? Corps took their power on their own by whatever means were necessary to make money.
                      Yes, and they continue to do so by buying PCs with windows.

Those that complain are a tiny minority in this reality we live in.
                      Maybe so, I'm talking about at least technology affine people. These topics are regularly the top posts in all the VR related subreddits. And yet 99% of the people who complain, keep buying Vives and Rifts and are salivating at the prospect of Windows 10 Headsets and thing Playstation VR is a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X