Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve May Be Moving Closer With Their VR Linux Support

Phoronix: Valve May Be Moving Closer With Their VR Linux Support

It looks like Valve may be moving closer to debut their Linux VR support, which they demonstrated at the 2016 Dev Days and we've known they've been working on further -- including improvements to AMDGPU/RadeonSI/RADV...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
    VR is dead. No chance of taking off. People don't want it. Linux fanbois need not apply.
    It's too expensive and it's really just a halfway solution. You can't use more than 2 senses (hearing/vision) with current "VR" technology which makes what you can do with it very limited. That being said, people paying for it makes companies want to invest more into it so maybe we'll see something worthwhile in 30 years.

Comment

VR is dead. No chance of taking off. People don't want it. Linux fanbois need not apply.
      I don't have it, but I'd love it if I had the PC to support it, it had Linux support and was cheap enough. Honestly, I think cost is the main factor why most people don't want it (and the fact that old versions used to give people motion sickness).

New technologies such as Vulkan will also contribute, as they will help provide enough performance to run games well.

Whilst I agree they aren't tactile enough yet, they are still a huge step up from what we have now. And I think that if the headsets cost only $200, everyone would buy them. If VR was truly dead, nobody would at that cost.

Comment

There is no killer app with VR headsets.
        I speculate that something could grow out of community developed games like Flightgear, where I envision a N-degrees of freedom slowly growing around that sim.

Comment

A daydream+tango headset could be nice, alas no support for both at the same time yet.

Comment

VR can be good for numerous things, but not for gaming, on the long run at least. Reason is the same why Kinect etc. failed. People want to sit and relax while playing games, not run and jump around. You can do that in real life better.

Comment

Wow, so much negativity here. Have any of you used VR? More specifically a real VR system ie Vive or Rift+Touch, without tracked controllers or a high refresh rate headset it'd be too limited to judge.

Comment

VR in X-Plane or Flightgear must be cool, but I wait for the next generation with higher resolution and cheaper devices.

Comment

You're just butthurt because MS has no VR headset.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    VR can be good for numerous things, but not for gaming, on the long run at least. Reason is the same why Kinect etc. failed. People want to sit and relax while playing games, not run and jump around. You can do that in real life better.
                    VR != must run and jump around

eydee = troll fail as usual

Comment

Working...
                    X