Radeon Ubuntu Linux Users Have A Lot To Gain By Upgrading Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post

Translation, " Hur durr dur durrrr hur durrrrrrr goodth trollth (lisp for accuracy)"

Listed in this thread (https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...t-work-for-you) are;

Dying Light
    Cities: Skylines
    Unreal Tournament 4 Pre-alpha
    Rust
    XCOM 2
    CS:GO
    L4D2
    ShellShock Live
    Alien Isolation
    Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition
    Tyranny of eternity
    Pillars of eternity
    Strike Suit Zero,
    BattleBlock Theater
    Hero Siege
    X3:TC
    X3:AP
    Portal Stories: Mel
    Planetary Annihilation
    Hitman GO
    Rocket League
    Dungeons II
    The Dwarves
    Mad Max
    Portal 2

And that is just 3 out of 6 pages of games with issues on radeon. Many of the games literally top sellers on Steam, no big deal.

Let me translate that for you, "Hur dur duuur durrr LERTS OF GERRMES! BROKTHEN! hur dur dur hur durrrr". There, you should understand now.
    I've played some 60hrs of Mad Max using 13.0.2 stable padoka and haven't had any problems whatsoever! Nothing! Nada! I've got an R9-290X on water. I wouldn't put any faith on the BS list who knows what other trolls have thrown in there bogusly!?

Comment

Originally posted by DanglingPointer View Post

I've played some 60hrs of Mad Max using 13.0.2 stable padoka and haven't had any problems whatsoever! Nothing! Nada! I've got an R9-290X on water. I wouldn't put any faith on the BS list who knows what other trolls have thrown in there bogusly!?
      No one is interested when something works in that thread, people just said there what issues they have with a radeonsi drivers and that is reality... Your R9 290X is just one asic, out of 150 or something supported by radeonsi

So we have 150 asics on 300 distros there , that is too much unrelated bug potentional even if driver is exact same version... but it isn't

I don't defend opensource drivers blindlessly i actually think it should be much more criticized same as any other drivers. If so much of different people say they have these issues i believe it, as that is reality.
      Last edited by dungeon; 11 January 2017, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Translation, " Hur durr dur durrrr hur durrrrrrr goodth trollth (lisp for accuracy)"

Listed in this thread (https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...t-work-for-you) are;

Dying Light
        Portal 2

And that is just 3 out of 6 pages of games with issues on radeon. Many of the games literally top sellers on Steam, no big deal.

Let me translate that for you, "Hur dur duuur durrr LERTS OF GERRMES! BROKTHEN! hur dur dur hur durrrr". There, you should understand now.
        The list is great, and I really applaud AMD reaching out to users to try to gather some current statistics on what works and what doesn't. I'm one of the people that mentioned one game (Cities: Skyline), but you are misinterpreting the problem with that specific game:
        1. It's not a Source game. I've been playing TF2 and a hundred hours of L4D2 and I've never had issues, except the shader stuttering and long loading-times. So, Source games work fine for most users.
        2. The only issue is a small rendering bug, that has a work-around (disable day/night cycles).
        2.5 The issue is fixed in LLVM 4 now.

I'd say you're trolling. Sure, there are numerous issues, but by lifting them to the surface, into the light, they can be fixed.

ps: I've also played Mad Max and Portal 2 without issues :ds
        Last edited by Azpegath; 11 January 2017, 06:43 AM.

Comment

With respect to Mad Max, Portal 2, TF2, and L4D2; they aren't broken. So for him to say they're broken and unplayable is "over-dramatic!" LoL
          There are many games you can buy on the Xbone and PS that slow down on frame-rates or sometimes have graphical artefacts or even sometime crash! And that's on consoles! Same with Windows games.

The list is great for fixing bugs, but to post and scare everyone away from playing on Linux using open source AMD drivers is ridiculous!

Comment

XCOM 2
            Mad Max

That list is pretty suspect, due to different people running stable and unstable Mesa builds and games being updated some information about games working or not working might be only true for certain specific setups at that point in time.

For example XCOM 2 now has official support for Mesa (since just before Christmas) and has no reported issues if you're running the correct updated drivers. It did actually work from XCOM 2 launch but only as long as you had the latest git drivers however all the required changes are now in the stable release which allowed for official support.

Mad Max has some issues and brief periods of slowdowns after extended gameplay and even a rare crash (on certain AMD hardware only). Due to these Mesa driver limitations it is not supported right now however the majority of people can play the game but without any official support as forums comments can show.

As the Mesa drivers keep improving and the issues are resolved we hope to add Mesa support like we have with XCOM 2.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

No one is interested when something works in that thread, people just said there what issues they have with a radeonsi drivers and that is reality... Your R9 290X is just one asic, out of 150 or something supported by radeonsi

So we have 150 asics on 300 distros there , that is too much unrelated bug potentional even if driver is exact same version... but it isn't

I don't defend opensource drivers blindlessly i actually think it should be much more criticized same as any other drivers. If so much of different people say they have these issues i believe it, as that is reality.
              And as has been explained to you on many occassions, this is one erea where the Open Source Driver is -absolutely- way better than proprietary. The fact is, whether you admit it or not, the proprietary driver has -WAAAAY- more bugs. It doesn't have an open bugzilla, or forums dedicated to discussing it, or public IRC dedicated to the devs. The simple matter of -FACT- is the -VOLUME OF INFORMATION- about the OSS drivers is waaaaay higher.

Of course it long ago became plainly obvious that you are too polarized by fanboyism to ever recognize the truth for what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

And as has been explained to you on many occassions, this is one erea where the Open Source Driver is -absolutely- way better than proprietary. The fact is, whether you admit it or not, the proprietary driver has -WAAAAY- more bugs. It doesn't have an open bugzilla, or forums dedicated to discussing it, or public IRC dedicated to the devs. The simple matter of -FACT- is the -VOLUME OF INFORMATION- about the OSS drivers is waaaaay higher.

Of course it long ago became plainly obvious that you are too polarized by fanboyism to ever recognize the truth for what it is.
                You are trying to define something that can't be defined. It does not help nothing to even have bugzilla until some commitment happened from inserested side and of course some knowledgable man look at the code, you can file bugs till the end of the century if no one fix them they remain unfixed, etc... And how that code will be published well that is again different thing it can be opensource or not.... being on bugzilla helps nothing much, maybe 10% are usable bugs (mostly wishlist) and the rest are really random noise - testing, upgrade problems, regressions, diversity problems and duplicates

And no, you are the fanboy here Do you know how i know that? Because you would say simply mesa or radeonsi instead of Open Source Driver
                Last edited by dungeon; 11 January 2017, 11:31 AM.

Comment

You are trying to define something that can't be defined. It does not help nothing to even have bugzilla until some commitment happened from inserested side and of course some knowledgable man look at the code, you can file bugs till the end of the century if no one fix them they remain unfixed, etc... And how that code will be published well that is again different thing it can be opensource or not.... being on bugzilla helps nothing much, maybe 10% are usable bugs (mostly wishlist) and the rest are really random noise - upgrade problems, regressions, diversity problems and duplicates

And no, you are the fanboy here Do you know how i know that? Because you would say simply mesa or radeonsi instead of Open Source Driver
                  It's not just Bugzilla, it's also IRC and Forums. There are so many different avenues to go through to get information and to make information available that exists in the open source world that -never- existed in the proprietary world. It the -Volume- of information that is what -makes- the OSS drivers superior.

And yeah, I am definitely a fanboy of open source, so what.... At least I educate myself enough to know that mesa and radeonsi is not the complete OSS driver, but instead just one part of a stack. That's why I say OSS drivers, because it is a stack that includes the kernel driver, the mesa driver, the xorg ddx, the llvm compiler and etc....

EDIT: You can try to make it seem like the OSS documentation methodologies are dinkier than they really are, but the real truth is that if a bug exists it is -FAR- more likely to be documented -somewhere-....
                  Last edited by duby229; 11 January 2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    And yeah, I am definitely a fanboy of open source, so what....
                    Nothing, fanboyism is just pop culture that strive to be surreal That makes you incapable to communicate normally with majority of people.

Everybody knows what is opensource including Microsoft, so what? You don't need to mention that every day, because that will eat your brain in the end

Comment

Nothing, fanboyism is just pop culture that strive to be surreal That makes you incapable to communicate normally with majority of people.

Everybody knows what is opensource including Microsoft, so what? You don't need to mention that every day, because that will eat your brain in the end
                      At least I know what the truth is......

Comment

Working...
                      X