Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
    We want games with Metal!
    Who are we? You Apple fanboys who don't give a rats ass about the rest of the industry?

What "we" (likely the majority of people at Phoronix) want is that no one will use Metal so Apple becomes forced to start supporting Vulkan so they don't miss out on advanced features in cross platform applications.

Just think of the poor developers who will have to implement another Graphics API for their engine just because one vendor think that they are the best at everything. Sure some things they actually are doing better than others, but it certainly isn't with GPU drivers and APIs.

Comment

Originally posted by jith_feral View Post

Hi there! Our system requirements are based on extensive testing across different setups, so we can ensure games perform to a high standard Our ports are all native.
      Right! I'm definitely not accusing you of not testing or not producing native executables, which you do very well, but you do still use a runtime DirectX -> OpenGL translation layer, which results in greater input latency, high system requirements, worse overall performance, single-CPU-thread-bound ports, and more pegging of individual threads at 100% usage by your runtime layer; your ports are akin to doing QA and packaging on top of a proprietary Wine.

This runtime layer definitely has its uses (at least until Wine has more complete DX11 support), and I've bought a couple of your products and been happy with them. In early 2000 terms, you're like Cedega and Aspyr is Loki; I bought both of their products, too.

Comment

Good to hear but Civ 6 is not a great game at the moment. Considering very high price and DLC spamming one should really consider waiting another 2 years and get the whole package on a discount. People that bought digital deluxe edition that gives the rights to download the next 4 DLCs for free are screwed as already 2 of them are released, vikings scenarios and Poland as a nation. As much as I would like to play as Poland it's not justifiable to pay 5 euros for the DLC, not to mention the viking stuff. I'm less than impressed Firaxis.

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post
          The biggest drawback in the Linux (and OS X?) port of Civ V is that it doesn't use nor support multi-threading, which is why the Windows native is much faster.
          For real??? What's stopping the devs for enabling multi-threading?

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
            For real??? What's stopping the devs for enabling multi-threading?
            Beats me.. As I don't have Windows installed, I can't personally confirm that the Windows version is truly multithreaded. But I checked on Linux, and yes, Civ V only uses one CPU core.

Comment

Metal is much more used than vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
                Metal is much more used than vulkan.
                Sad but true...

Comment

It is disappointing. There are vulkan/metal wrappers I believe so perhaps it isn't so big of a deal (for either camp, I happen to care about both haha)

Comment

Working...
                  X