No announcement yet.

Aspyr Media Officially Confirms Bringing Civilization VI To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No release date for the Linux copy or system requirements are yet available. Under Windows the game needs a minimum of a HD 5570 / GTX 450 or recommendation of HD 7970 / GTX 770, but under Linux those requirements are almost certainly to be much higher given this D3D11 game will almost definitely be using OpenGL rather than Vulkan. Civilization VI on Windows does have a benchmark mode, let's hope as well it's preserved in the Linux build for some fun benchmarking.
    Why don't we look at Mac requirements, original is one thing and third party ports are something else

If your video card has less than 1 GB of VRAM, you will run into graphic issues and crashing!

If your Mac is running 10.11.6 or 10.12, has a 2.7GHz or better i5 or newer processor, has more than 6GB of RAM and is equipped with one of the following video cards…BUY IT, PLAY IT, AND ENJOY:

NVIDIA® GeForce® 775M, 780M

ATI™/AMD Radeon™ HD 6970, R9 M290, R9 M290X, R9 M295X, R9 M370X, R9 M380, R9 M390, R9 M395, D300, D500, D700

Intel® HD Graphics IRIS PRO, IRIS 6100, IRIS 6200, IRIS PRO 5200, IRIS PRO 6200

Your Mac must meet ALL of the minimum system requirements below in order to maximize your Civilization VI experience. If you run the game on a Mac below the system requirements, you will experience severe performance issues and crashing.

Operating System: OSX 10.11.6 (El Capitan) and MacOS 10.12 (Sierra)
    CPU Processor: Intel Core i5 (4 cores)
    CPU Speed: 2.7 GHz
    Memory: 6 GB
    Hard Disk Space: 15 GB
    Video Card (ATI): Radeon HD 6970
    Video Card (NVIDIA): GeForce 775M
    Video Card (Intel): Iris Pro
    Video Memory (VRam): 1 GB
    Peripherals: Macintosh mouse and keyboard, Steam Controller (optional)

NOTICE: The following 1GB VRAM video cards are NOT supported to run Civilization VI:

NVIDIA® GeForce® 650M, 675MX, 680MX, 750M, 755M

ATI™ Radeon™ HD 5750, HD 5770, HD 5870, HD 6750, HD 6770

Intel® HD Graphics 4000, 5000, 5300, 6000, IRIS, 515

We recommend only playing on the default graphic settings designated at launch.
    That is like Doom 3 at release or recently Dishonored 2 where there are highest settings, but developers does not recommend it running at max on current hardware or openarena where bloom reflection were never recommended but we benchmark that to heat up recent hardware more on non recommended settings, or xonotic recommends normal was never benchmarked also, etc... So, fire it up on something fewer people use that will be representative

It has in sort of benchmark somewhat only ms it seems, not sure about console automatic

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threa...scores.603530/
    Last edited by dungeon; 10 January 2017, 02:45 AM.

Comment

I also do not think that this game will have a Vulkan Renderer. Such ports are for macOS first. Linux is a "here you have a recompile with little support" thing, mostly. We can only hope that Apple will drop its outdated and featureless Metal API (it can't even compete with DX11 xD) and move to Vulkan.

Comment

I love it, then I will buy the game when it comes out! It is expensive as hell (like $60), but it's good to send a signal that Linux wants their games.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
          Not Aspyr again ... ;_;
          No you're thinking of Feral.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
            If they are up to the task, they should do this in Vulkan. Civ IV has a d3d12 renderer, so this is only reasonable.
            I assume you mean Civ VI and not IV.

Your point can be applied the other way around: Since Aspyr have already ported Civ VI to OS X using OpenGL, all the work of wrapping/translating DX12 --> OpenGL is already made. I'm guessing and could be wrong about this, but I don't think it's financially viable to start over from scratch using Vulkan. Especially not taking into account that porting DX12 to Vulkan is something new to them, whereas they have extensive previous experience with OpenGL.

BTW: I played Civ V, which was also ported by Aspyr and it was nowhere near the Windows version.
            The biggest drawback in the Linux (and OS X?) port of Civ V is that it doesn't use nor support multi-threading, which is why the Windows native is much faster.

Comment

Originally posted by axfelix View Post
              It's not clear to me why the Linux requirements would be "much higher" -- DX11 and OpenGL 4.5 are just about as efficient as one another in a capable dev's hands, and Aspyr is one of the only GL devs who are actually up to the task. They're expensive, though, so they tend to only work on games that are going to come to OSX first and do decent business. And this may change soon because Apple has pretty much given up on keeping up with OpenGL in OSX.

Feral's ports wind up with much higher requirements because they just run a wrapper on top of the DX11 code.
              Hi there! Our system requirements are based on extensive testing across different setups, so we can ensure games perform to a high standard Our ports are all native.

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post
                I assume you mean Civ VI and not IV.
                Sure

Your point can be applied the other way around: Since Aspyr have already ported Civ VI to OS X using OpenGL, all the work of wrapping/translating DX12 --> OpenGL is already made. I'm guessing and could be wrong about this, but I don't think it's financially viable to start over from scratch using Vulkan. Especially not taking into account that porting DX12 to Vulkan is something new to them, whereas they have extensive previous experience with OpenGL.
                No, the windows client has both d3d11 and d3d12 backends, so I assume that they worked from d3d11 to OGL. I also didn't know they already had the Mac port, but in that case the discussion is wasted time anyway. There have been two render backends, they should have used Metal.
                Also, Vulkan, d3d12 (and eventually Metal) are the present and future. OpenGL and d3d11 is the past. Acquiring knowledge and working with it early is important. I don't get why they get celebrated in this thread while Feral gets bashed for doing the exact same thing.
                But in that case, I agree. It will be a cheap port from the Mac version. And there is no chance I'm gonna buy this. I got Civ V+addons which is basically the same game with minor differences, cheaper, have already been able to play it for years. I would have thought about it if it was technically awesome, but not like that.

The biggest drawback in the Linux (and OS X?) port of Civ V is that it doesn't use nor support multi-threading, which is why the Windows native is much faster.
                Which makes the statement about them being "actually up to the task" completely absurd.

It also was not only the performance, iirc there have not even all (graphical) settings been available on Linux. But I could be wrong about this one, it has been some time.
                Last edited by juno; 10 January 2017, 07:46 AM.

Comment

No, the windows client has both d3d11 and d3d12 backends, so I assume that they worked from d3d11 to OGL. I also didn't know they already had the Mac port, but in that case the discussion is wasted time anyway. There have been two render backends, they should have used Metal.
                  Also, Vulkan, d3d12 (and eventually Metal) are the present and future. OpenGL and d3d11 is the past. Acquiring knowledge and working with it early is important.
                  It's most likely a pure business decision. Using OpenGL which they have done in the past is cheaper, faster and easier to maintain and support than doing separate Metal and Vulkan ports. I understand what you mean that jumping the ship to Vulkan straight away would be more future-proof. But I doubt that Firaxis or 2K Games would license the porting to Aspyr if they'd insist on a route that'd cost more money and take more time to get released.

And there is no chance I'm gonna buy this. I got Civ V+addons which is basically the same game with minor differences, cheaper, have already been able to play it for years
                  I personally never liked Civ V very much. Civ IV Beyond the Sword is an awesome game I wish 2k games would update and port to Linux. I guess Civilization games is like Deep Purple - everyone has their favourite line-up.

Comment

I will be shocked if they don't use Vulkan now.

Also: 888 posts?! O.o

Comment

Another difference is that games on Windows get new drivers for better performance.... games on Linux get new drivers to make the game start.

Comment

Working...
                      X