Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mibo View Post

I think I have to postpone this.
    The OpenSuse XOrg repo only has MESA 13.0.3 that was compiled against llvm 3.8. Just installing 3.9.1 from an development repo didn't help.
    So, I will wait until the XOrg repo has an llvm 3.9.1 MESA.
    Sure, in the meantime do get in touch with [email protected] as the team there may have some other things for you to try. Feel free to link this thread to them for context.

Comment

Anyone having issues with sound? After the last Steam update I get no sound at all in the game. All other games in my library work fine. The only other game to have the same issue is Sublevel Zero. Starting the game from a terminal is no help as it does not point to any apparent error.

Comment

Melcar, or anyone else with RX480, is the game playable? Is sound still broken?

It's on sale this weekend on Steam. I like the franchise, but don't want to buy it until it's playable on RX480 with Mesa. I'm okay with building Mesa from git.

Comment

Originally posted by toojays View Post
          Melcar, or anyone else with RX480, is the game playable? Is sound still broken?

It's on sale this weekend on Steam. I like the franchise, but don't want to buy it until it's playable on RX480 with Mesa. I'm okay with building Mesa from git.
          Depends on your definition of playable. I can stomach anything >25fps, and right now the game just covers that. I play with everything "on" except motion blur and DoF, textures on ultra, triple buffering and 2xAA. At 1440p the game hovers around 22-30fps most of the time. The latest game update disabled hair rendering for me, so I guess that gave the performance a bit of a boost. An important note is that lowering the graphics settings does not translate into meaningful performance changes, so I guess there is a serious bottleneck still with Mesa.
          Initial game loading takes a laughable 6-8 minutes on my machine, even with the game on a Samsung SSD. I have also not been able to fix sound. This and Sublevel Zero are the only games that have no sound for some reason. Must be something particular to Steam I guess.

My specs. are:

Kubuntu 16.10
          Oibaf PPA
          4.9 kernel
          FX8320 @ 4.8GHz
          32GB 1866MHz RAM
          Nitro+ RX480
          Samsung EVO 850 500GB SDD

Comment

Thanks Melcar for that write-up. It sounds borderline to me, and my specs are a little worse than yours (i5-3570 @ 3.40GHz). So I probably *shouldn't* buy it, but I might do so anyway. See if I can resist the urge until the sale is over . . .

On the lack of sound, I recall that Steam recently changed to prefer native libraries instead of the ones they ship. Perhaps that broke something for you? Maybe try with STEAM_RUNTIME_PREFER_HOST_LIBRARIES=0?

Comment

Yeah, the last Steam update broke sound for the game. Strange that it's just Deus EX and Sublevel Zero that are affected. All other games in my library work fine. Running the games from terminal shows no obvious error either.

Comment

Working...
              X