Steam's Linux Marketshare Ended Slightly Lower For 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

You really shouldn't compare the Linux and Windows drivers simply based on the number of new versions when the main features of most Windows versions are game-specific optimizations while all of the Linux releases are all focused on more fundamental additions and improvements, rather than something which will only be driver bloat a few years down the line.

Still, sad to see that DAL didn't make the cut for 2016, but I can hope this can be rectified not too far into this year.
    Well for this thread comparison make sense, as percentage figure of Linux there depends on what happened in Windows also isn't it

And who knows maybe someone is not informed what happened during last year, it is good to mention that anyway and taking it as part of a reason percentage goes down.
    Last edited by dungeon; 02 January 2017, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Michael would be interesting to have a new Linux vs Windows benchmark for the RX 480. Last one was in august and there's been quite a lot of improvement on the mesa stack since then (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ux-rx480&num=1)

Comment

i have never had a steam survey

Comment

I think that this linux market share survey new are quite useless and tells nothing. They are just surveys and Steam can be choice what user (os) will be selected to survey. Personally I play every day steam game and for few I’ve haven't see survey years for now (i did selected to participate to survey once or twice since during Linux beta testing phase) but never since.

I think that Valve know real OS usage stats (and more information about hw) but keeps that info in secret and make this fake (my personally opinion) stat news for just misleading.

Since we don't know how Valve selects users for this stat survey I personally think just info just hurt Linux gaming. So Micheal, until Steam releases real os stats I hope that that you not post this 'Steam Linux Market Share Ended news' ...

Or there is really good progress in stats ...

with br

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Well for this thread comparison make sense, as percentage figure of Linux there depends on what happened in Windows also isn't it

And who knows maybe someone is not informed what happened during last year, it is good to mention that anyway and taking it as part of a reason percentage goes down.
            It would make sense if AMD did updates almost purely for the purpose of adding game specific driver "optimizations" for Linux as well, but they don't. On Windows driver makers put in a lot of effort into analyzing how games work and using this knowledge to have the drivers change their behavior to suit the games whenever they're run. Whenever a game is made to run faster on Linux it's generally done trough general level optimizations that benefit a wide array of games rather than just one specific title and nothing else.

Comment

I'd love to install Steam but I run off Fedora. I deliberately do not install Steam, I don't like messing cross-arch libs, on Fedora I see rpm conflicts, I think it is not worthwhile and I will not replace Fedora only for Steam.
              Is it really that difficult to fix it? Binaries and/or installer packages. I suspect Valve causes just a big hype and really care about Linux only a little, but make us gullible fans believe that Linux@Valve is a BIG! thing. Isn't it just a hype?

Comment

Originally posted by lejeczek View Post
                I'd love to install Steam but I run off Fedora. I deliberately do not install Steam, I don't like messing cross-arch libs, on Fedora I see rpm conflicts, I think it is not worthwhile and I will not replace Fedora only for Steam.
                Is it really that difficult to fix it? Binaries and/or installer packages. I suspect Valve causes just a big hype and really care about Linux only a little, but make us gullible fans believe that Linux@Valve is a BIG! thing. Isn't it just a hype?
                They dont even want to make a 64 bit app..

Comment

I think they only had a couple of engineers working on it... so no, not that big of a thing at Valve.

Comment

I have two machines under Fedora 25 and I'm running Steam on them, since Fedora 24, without any problem (zero conflicts). The simplest way to install it, and more generally to customize Fedora, seems to be using Fedy: http://folkswithhats.org/

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

They dont even want to make a 64 bit app..
                      Will the menus come faster in their UI with a 64 bit app?

Comment

Working...
                      X