No announcement yet.

Former Nouveau GSoC Developer Now Working For Valve On Open-Source AMD Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Nouveau GSoC Developer Now Working For Valve On Open-Source AMD Driver

Phoronix: Former Nouveau GSoC Developer Now Working For Valve On Open-Source AMD Driver

We have known of Valve wanting to improve AMDGPU DRM for VR Linux gaming and Valve wanting to contract Mesa developers to improve the open-source AMD driver. Now we know at least one of the faces who is hired by Valve to improve the open-source AMD driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Congrats Samuel! Sounds like you'll have exciting times working with the Radeon people.

I wonder if Valve hired him altogether (so he's now at the offices in Bellevue), or just having him as a contractor. I got a friend working as translator contractor for Valve, they don't pay well... I hope he gets nice money out of this.

Comment

Congrats Samuel for the new job and it's great to see more efforts for radeonSI and your expertise.
      Still i think it's sad for nouveau community to lose an developer that done so much for nouveau but i got a feeling that Samuel will continue to contribute to nouveau.

Comment

Yes my child,

Comment

Great stuff from Valve

Comment

Good resource, good decision. Lot of good developments in the past. Bright future.

Comment

what kind of work on radeonsi is funded by valve? is it just what is needed for vr, or something more general?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                what kind of work on radeonsi is funded by valve? is it just what is needed for vr, or something more general?
                I'd imagine any kind of work that improves latency and reduces CPU overhead, in addition to better dual-monitor support. That's what is needed by VR. Even dual GPU support would be greatly beneficial to VR.

Comment

The 2nd time within ~a week I get to say this..

Good guy Valve.

Comment

This is good news! It is nice to see the corporate world contributing to open source projects; even if they don't pay a lot!

Comment

Working...
                    X